Abandoning old romex

Status
Not open for further replies.

jes25

I was just doing a rewire on a previously added-on (60's or so) laundry room addition. The whole addition was wired off the old porch complete with an open splice where the old porch light was. Obviously done by an DIYer. So I rewired the thing and abandoned the old wiring.

I just hate abandoning wiring in the walls when I can't physically see it along the whole length. I am always afraid it's tied in somewhere else, double feed or something, and the cut off abandoned wires will somehow get hot in the future.

Do you guys think I'm just being a worry wart? I don't know what else to do other than cut 'em off and leave 'em in the wall without tearing the whole thing down to the studs.

sd4524

When i leave romex in the wall like this I take hot, neutral, ground and wirenut them all together. If they ever get energized in the future then the breaker will trip. However, I do this only when I am sure of where both ends of the wire are. I wouldn't stuff into a wall unless I am confident that it won't get energized.

macmikeman

I do not tape or connect the wires together, I isolate them from each other with wirenuts and then tape, and then write on the sheath- abandoned cable, do not energize at both ends if I can reach or locate both ends. There may be an FPE load center at the front end of that cable, you just never know.

AV ELECTRIC

I went to an older house Friday and the bedroom circuit was being fed from 3 different sources 2 breakers and one screw in fuse all on the same phase they got the neutral from the fused circuit and tied the little steel wire from the bx to the hot you never know with these older houses.

zappy

I agree with macmikeman

I agree with macmikeman

I do not tape or connect the wires together, I isolate them from each other with wirenuts and then tape, and then write on the sheath- abandoned cable, do not energize at both ends if I can reach or locate both ends. There may be an FPE load center at the front end of that cable, you just never know.

Don't wirenut the wires together, and hope the breaker may trip if it ever gets energized again.

iwire

Staff member
I just hate abandoning wiring in the walls when I can't physically see it along the whole length. I am always afraid it's tied in somewhere else, double feed or something, and the cut off abandoned wires will somehow get hot in the future.

If you where to properly insulated the end of the conductors with wire nuts or tape what would be the danger if they became live?

jwjrw

If you where to properly insulated the end of the conductors with wire nuts or tape what would be the danger if they became live?

If I dont know where they go I find out. I learned that the hard way.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Unless I know where the other end is I would leave the old wires in the jb and tape them off. If it does get energized there is no big deal, however if it is laying in the ceiling energized at a future date, then it would be a violation.

jwjrw

Unless I know where the other end is I would leave the old wires in the jb and tape them off. If it does get energized there is no big deal, however if it is laying in the ceiling energized at a future date, then it would be a violation.

What is the violation in having a live circuit in a jb in the ceiling(attic?)? Either I'm brain dead or am misunderstanding you.

I also would put it in a box if I couldnt find out where it went. I never tear out half a circuit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
What is the violation in having a live circuit in a jb in the ceiling(attic?)? Either I'm brain dead or am misunderstanding you.

I also would put it in a box if I couldnt find out where it went. I never tear out half a circuit.

Sorry, you're brain dead :grin:. I stated that I install those unused wires in a jb because if it is taped and left in the ceiling-- no jb-- then it is a violation.

Me said:
Not clear but this is referring to laying in the ceiling with no JB.

jwjrw

The way you worded the second part of your statement made me think you meant it was a violation in a box in the ceiling. I was taught that if it a circuit isnt used you put it in a box or remove it completely.

growler

If I dont know where they go I find out. I learned that the hard way.

Yes I have been really surprised when I trace out some old wiring and found where it went.

I was rewiring a commercial garage once and even with the service torn out I still had some circuits that were live ( shouldn't happen that way ). When I traced them out they went to a house on a different lot. About 30 or 40 years ago both properties had belonged to the same person and had been one lot. At that time a couple of circuits had been run from the house to power the garage and since then the property had been divided into two seperate lots with different owners but the circuits had remained.

It's good to know where wiring really goes.

jwjrw

Yes I have been really surprised when I trace out some old wiring and found where it went.

I was rewiring a commercial garage once and even with the service torn out I still had some circuits that were live ( shouldn't happen that way ). When I traced them out they went to a house on a different lot. About 30 or 40 years ago both properties had belonged to the same person and had been one lot. At that time a couple of circuits had been run from the house to power the garage and since then the property had been divided into two seperate lots with different owners but the circuits had remained.

It's good to know where wiring really goes.

I found a circuit wirenutted in a wall (covered) and it went up and then under the floored attic with 30 years of junk stacked on top. I could not find anything that did not work. Homeowner couldn't either. Put it in a box and installed a blank on the wall. Spring time came and I got a call the light in my garden shed dosen't work........ How it was the splice was in a wall and how they got from attic to shed I have no idea. Was built in 60's and hacked on repeatedly.

jwjrw

Im looking I know it would be unsafe and thats enough. But I thought it said somewhere every wire needs, has, shall,, maybe, or something like that in a box or terminate to something

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis do you have a code ref? :confused:
Scott, I am talking about my preference of handling the situation. If the wire should be energized and it is in the ceiling without a JB then we have a potentially dangerous situation that is not code compliant. Article 300.15 states we must use a jb with a few exceptions

Status
Not open for further replies.