Installing a breaker across from the main

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I came across a panel (GE I think) with a breaker feeding a sub panel installed directly across from the main breaker. I did not think this was allowed (especially since they had to hacksaw the panel cover to put the breaker in). Any input would be most welcome.

480sparky

You can always put breakers 'across' from the main if the bus bar are built to accept them there.

Some panels do, some don't. Some that don't have a sticker on the KOs stating something like "Do Not Remove These Knockouts".

The left panels looks like GE, the right looks like Westinghouse/Bryant.

How would I know if the KO's are gone or weren't there to begin with, as I said the panel cover was cut with a hacksaw to install the breaker.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Cutting the cover with a hacksaw is a pretty good indication that you cannot install a CB in that location in this panel.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
What is the max bus stab rating, and do you need to sum the two side by side breakers when calculating that, or does it just affect maximum single breaker that can be installed?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The specifics of this particular panel aside, if you think about it, all of the main breaker's current will be carried by these two stabs anyway.

The method used here merely provides the shortest path between the supply and the load. I guess the concern is heat from the load breaker.

Jim W in Tampa

More than likely the space they used was not intended for or listed for a breaker in that spot. Did see a panel like that about a year ago and without looking at paper work first you would and could install a breaker. When you go to put cover on you will have a problem. My guess is that is what happened here and he cheated to make it work. Can we have picture of cover ? Did it have indented space numbers like 1,3,5,7 etc on left side ? If so bet they started under that breaker.

stew

most panel have a maximum stab rating on the label. some 200 panels are rated 125 stab. If you had a 100 amp sub and say a range breaker across form it you would exceed the max stab rating

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
most panel have a maximum stab rating on the label. some 200 panels are rated 125 stab. If you had a 100 amp sub and say a range breaker across form it you would exceed the max stab rating
One of the reasons I try to stack all of the 2p's on one side of the panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.