sizing of condulets

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

I'm rerouting a 2 inch conduit run (it's a 200A run with 1/0's). Where this feeder takes a 90 degree turn, I'm now going to cut into that and have it go straight.

I plan on doing this by calling for a straight condulet. There will naturally be splicing involved in that condulet. Does the fact that I'll be splicing in this condulet affect the size of it. i.e. if I were only to using it as a pulling point vs a splicing point, does the size of the device differ?

Thanks,

Mike

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
red flags galore :) 200 amp circuit with 1/0 ?? motor circuit ?
but to your question: 314.16(C) (2) provides the rules and will pretty much eliminate the possibility of using a condulet to splice 1/0s.

In fact, according to the Crouse Hinds charts, (3) 1/0s just passing thru a "C" condulet is the maximum

benaround

Mike,

Have you thought about using 'wireway' instead of a condulet, it's much safer having

enough room to refeed the conductors. Something like a 6"X6"X3' with endcaps.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If it's a standard size Condulet such as C-H form 67, it's actually against Code to even pull through with (3) 3/0s.
I agree with benaround that it is an ideal location for a wireway, space permitting.

tkb

A section of wireway is less costly than a condulet and it can be easier to pull through.

mshields

wireway vs condulet

wireway vs condulet

Space is the driving concern here. But if a condulet can't be used it can't be used.

Thanks for the input.

Mike

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
This is a code rule that is often violated. Many assume that standard conduit bodies can be used with the same wire fill as conduit of the same size as the fitting. When the conductors are #4 and larger, it is rare when you can use a standard conduit body of the same trade size as the conduit.

cadpoint

I'm rerouting a 2 inch conduit run (it's a 200A run with 1/0's). Where this feeder takes a 90 degree turn, I'm now going to cut into that and have it go straight.

I plan on doing this by calling for a straight condulet. There will naturally be splicing involved in that condulet. Does the fact that I'll be splicing in this condulet affect the size of it. i.e. if I were only to using it as a pulling point vs a splicing point, does the size of the device differ?

Thanks,

Mike

Respectfully,

Just because there will be a redirection of conduit from the 90 degrees forward, does it mean that where the JB,
trough, wire way, has to be there? I think not.

What about twenty feet or x-number of feet in front or behind this transition point?

Draw the RFI sketch and show them where to place it, leave one side of the circuit will be fine; the other side should
be new wire to make up the connection. Electrician’s now how to shorten a conduit, stretching wires is a myth.

MO, a good electrician will find the easiest and fast/workable situation that none of us has presented.

Put it this way, with your level of involvement of telling them what to do, look out, from what response you might get from the field! You've been advised...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.