wet location enclosure terminating

Status
Not open for further replies.

danger30

where in the NEC does it reference the "bottom third" of a box/enclosure for conduit terminating in wet locations? or does it, I'm drawing a blank.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
As far as I know the phrase "bottom third" is not used in the NEC. You looking for something in 314 or 408?

danger30

When terminating the side or back of an enclosure/panelboard/pull box, etc. outdoors when must you use a "sealed, or raintight" rated fitting?

danger30

Yes Augie, 312.2 is more of what I was thinking. I don't see the last sentence referring to live parts in 314.15 so does that mean you don't need sealed fitting in a pull box that contains no splices, or that you always need sealed fittings?

Volta

Yes Augie, 312.2 is more of what I was thinking. I don't see the last sentence referring to live parts in 314.15 so does that mean you don't need sealed fitting in a pull box that contains no splices, or that you always need sealed fittings?

Section 314.15 requires fittings installed in wet locations to be listed for that. Common practice may show otherwise, but the intent of 314.15 is to keep water out of the box.

danger30

I agree wet location fittings need to be used in those said locations. 312.2 implies as long as you're below live parts wet location fittings are not required. I assume this would be an exception to only this article. Imagine a PVC terminal adapter without a sealing ring into the lower side of a meter base.

Status
Not open for further replies.