NEC on cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

hot wire

Do any of yall have the NEC on cd . Just wonding is it good or not worth the money. Im sure it takes up a lot of memory on your computer. but dont know .j ust seeing what the different oppions are on it.

raider1

Staff member
For me as an instructor and an inspector the NEC on CD-ROM is invaluable.

The NEC on CD allows you to search for specific words an also to cut an paste code section into presentations.

I have both the NEC and the NEC Handbook on CD-ROM.

Chris

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have it on CD and IMO it's worth the money. But as with most NFPA stuff there is a downside (besides the exorbitant price), for this CD you can only download it twice. So if you want to use it on a home or office PC and a laptop that's about all you'll get.

raider1

Staff member
I thought when CDs came out they were suppose to be cheaper. and why is it you cant reuse it i thought cd were burnt onto the disk.????

You have to install it on a computer. This requires internet verification before you can activate the copy. The way it is set up you can install it on 2 computers.

Chris

cadpoint

It's usually written into the software, it's not like music just sitting there on a CD. The software controls it and is locked to count to three.

Burning a CD, also burns in the orginal origin of who made it. If sent out like swap or shared music they also know when, where and how it came out.

Big Brother at it's finest. ;)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You have to install it on a computer. This requires internet verification before you can activate the copy. The way it is set up you can install it on 2 computers.

Chris

This is where I get annoyed. If I have a code book I can take it anywhere and read it. If I have the CD I should be able to put it in any computer and do the same. Stuff like this makes you want to buy stuff from a hacker. :mad:

Here's what it says when you install the disk:

** The NFPA has changed the process for installing,
viewing, and accessing the code information. **

1 - What does this mean?

NEC customers will be permitted 2 installations of the
code onto their computers via Internet activation. For
example, if you have a desktop computer you may choose
to download the information onto that piece of equipment.
Subsequently, you can then download the information onto
your laptop.

2 - How do I activate the NEC?

Activation requires a 12-digit serial number. The number
can be found on a label affixed to the back of the CD-ROM
packaging. You will need Internet access to activate the
NEC. If you do not have Internet access, continue with the
installation. The CD will be activated via telephone, and
those instructions and phone number will be supplied to you
once the installation process is completed. Each time this
process is completed, it will be counted as one
installation/activation.

Contact information for technical assistance:

phone: 1-888-843-4461
Outside the U.S.: 1-703-392-4606
Monday-Friday 9:00AM-5:00PM EST

e-mail: support@nfpa.org

raider1

Staff member
I agree Rob,

I have a work computer, a laptop for teaching classes, a home computer, and a classroom computer at the school that I teach at.

That means that I have to have 2 copies of the NEC and Handbook to be able to have the NEC on CD at all the computers that I need it at.

Chris

480sparky

This is where I get annoyed. If I have a code book I can take it anywhere and read it. If I have the CD I should be able to put it in any computer and do the same. Stuff like this makes you want to buy stuff from a hacker. :mad::

Get the .pdf file. You can install that on as many computers as you want. Not as handy as the FolioView version, but still handy.

tkb

Is there a way to copy from the 2008 NEC HB and paste while preserving the original formatting?

Whenever I paste into Word, all of the original formatting is lost.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I have both the NEC and the NEC Handbook on CD-ROM.

That means that I have to have 2 copies of the NEC and Handbook to be able to have the NEC on CD at all the computers that I need it at.

I have both also. Here is the math.

NEC Softbound & CD-ROM Set = ........$156.16
NEC Handbook Print & CD_ROM Set = $305.25
Total = .............................................$461.41

So over the 3 year span of a cycle there are 1,095 days.

$461.41?1095=42?

So for 42? a day you get 2 code books and 4 computer applications. I can live with that given I use them for well over 3 years.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Is there a way to copy from the 2008 NEC HB and paste while preserving the original formatting?

Whenever I paste into Word, all of the original formatting is lost.

I haven't figured that out either. Tables don't line up.:mad:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree Rob,

I have a work computer, a laptop for teaching classes, a home computer, and a classroom computer at the school that I teach at.

Chris

I have a CD version of the 2005 and you can at least view it on other computers without downloading the content to the hard drive. IMO this is what you should get for your money. How much does it cost the NFPA to burn a CD?

joebell

I don't know if it would solve the 2-computer limit problem, but would the NECPlus work?:cool:

I subscribe to NEC Plus, you need an internet connection to access it from any computer, I think it is useful. There is alot of info on the site. When you reference code sections it can include additional info such as ROP's, UL white book references and staff notes.

Last edited:

joebell

I have a CD version of the 2005 and you can at least view it on other computers without downloading the content to the hard drive. IMO this is what you should get for your money. How much does it cost the NFPA to burn a CD?

I bet it's alot less than it costs to print those cataloges that we get a couple times a week :)

Status
Not open for further replies.