NEC on cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunt4679

For the NEC hand book just call them after you install it on 2 computers and tell them you need to install it on others and they will reset your key and give you more downloads no questions asked

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For the NEC hand book just call them after you install it on 2 computers and tell them you need to install it on others and they will reset your key and give you more downloads no questions asked

When I attempted to install the CD on a second computer I got an error message stating that I had already used up my two installations. This was not true since I had only downloaded the stuff onto one computer. I called the 800 number and they reset the counter to allow the second download. So basically you're saying I can call again and they will reset it again to allow a third download?

kwired

Electron manager
like other software they are just trying to minimize the use of illegal copies.

really is not fair to them to sell one copy and have it reproduced 10 100 or 1000 times (and maybe even sold by the person who copied it). Are there still illegal copies out there - like other software probably so. whoever made the copies had to go through extra steps to get around the security of the product. This will probably never change.

I havent had to do so with NEC yet but have had to with other software when I got a new computer. If you own a legal copy they can make it harder to install multiple times but I don't think they can stop you from doing it all together. I am sure the terms and conditions probably tell you exactly what you can and can't do just nobody ever reads them.

480sparky

I have the 2008 NEC on a single PDF file. Is this any different than what comes on the CD?

Quite a bit.

The software that the NEC CD runs on is a lot more powerful than plain old free Adobe Acrobat.

You can bookmark your own Articles, Sections, etc.
NEC22.jpg

Click on "Go To" and you go there.

You can highlight (in various colors) whatever you want:

NEC23.jpg

The Search function does more than let you go from one 'hit' to the next. It shows you where all the hits are, and you can quickly narrow down what you're looking for. For instance, let's say you're trying to find the language of 406.6, but cannot recall where exactly it is.

So you type in "Attachment plugs" into the search prompt, and you see this:

NEC12.jpg

Now you either use Next Hit or Previous Hit to jump from one hit to the next (or previous), or you can scan down the left side and see where every instance that phrase is located at, while the first is displayed and highlighted for you. You can open and close your choices on the left, just like you would files in a directory. Hmmmm Section 406 looks good........ Bingo!

NEC13.jpg

Whenever a reference is made to another Article, Section, etc. is displayed, it is a link to that Article or Section that allows you to go right to it. When you're done, you can 'Link Back" to where you started. This allows you to hop all over the book, going forward and backwards without endless scrolling.

Another nice feature: When you look at a table in the pdf form, when you scroll down, the headers disapper off the top of the screen. Not so with the genuine version. As you scroll down, the headers stop at the top of the screen and stay there until you scroll past the bottom of the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.