coat hanger

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Can i use coat hanger wire to support conduit to a beam ?

Yes, but steel coat hangers can not be used in wet locations, for wet locations you must use PVC coat hangers.

Seriously as long as the AHJ approves it the NEC would allow it. There is no NEC listing requirement for conduit hangers.

nakulak

No more wire hangars !

Ok, we will let you use coat hangars one last time, but only if you post pics of your coat hangar pipe rack. Make sure all the coat hangars are nice and level, though, and don't forget to comply with the section that says "all coat hangars must be firmly attached"

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Think out of the box! Let's take it a step further, why not just abandon the conduit. It just adds weight and jeopardizes the tensile strength of the coat hanger. Just loop the hanger and lay the wire in the loop.

jwjrw

Think out of the box! Let's take it a step further, why not just abandon the conduit. It just adds weight and jeopardizes the tensile strength of the coat hanger. Just loop the hanger and lay the wire in the loop.

Hold on I've seen that wiring method used before. Guess whoever hacked it up had that idea berfore you!:D

Cow

Occupation
Electrician

That's a good idea. If I buy some blue #8 it'll look just like Cat5....

No one will ever know....

:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.