Plenum Space Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey group.

I?m bidding a project and here?s the scenario:

Commercial building with a suspended lay-in ceiling. The ceiling space is the return air plenum.

Here is a detail note on the plans that is leaving me scratching my head.

?Duplex receptacle for condensate pump, 1/60th HP, 120V, 1 phase. Provide and install duplex receptacle in a Hoffman box and connect condensate pump without running cord exposed in the air plenum.?

Maybe I?m a little dense but I don?t get what they mean or how to get done per their intent. Can anyone shed some light?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
apparently they want the box big enough to hold the pump so the cord won't be exposed.

jwjrw

Hey group.

I?m bidding a project and here?s the scenario:

Commercial building with a suspended lay-in ceiling. The ceiling space is the return air plenum.

Here is a detail note on the plans that is leaving me scratching my head.

?Duplex receptacle for condensate pump, 1/60th HP, 120V, 1 phase. Provide and install duplex receptacle in a Hoffman box and connect condensate pump without running cord exposed in the air plenum.?

Maybe I?m a little dense but I don?t get what they mean or how to get done per their intent. Can anyone shed some light?

I have no idea but it would seem they want it piped in but how would you plug it in to a duplex recep?

apparently they want the box big enough to hold the pump so the cord won't be exposed.

That I understand but at some point the cord needs to exit the Hoffman to connect to the pump. Seems to me that one way or the other there is exposed cord above the ceiling and in the plenum.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
some of the condensate pumps are pretty small... my guess was they wanted the pump to stay in the box with the receptacle... no exposed cord.

For bid purposes I will figure mounting a 4s w/ind cover and duplex in the corner of a an 18x18 nema 1 and go from there.

One thing though, the mechanical and electrical engineers are one and the same firm. I would think there would be some kind of corresponding note on the mechanical drawings but I can not find one. I can?t find an actual spec for the pump either.

Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.