Solid versus Stranded Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireguru

I disagree. When it comes to device terminations on CR type devices with side screws stranded takes a ton more time.

i dont know what CR type devices are, but I would think with stranded wire you would be using devices with backwire pressure plate type terminations. Prefer the 5262 type industrial grade receptacles, but BR15/BR20 can be had cheap enough that the labor savings over trying to twist a stranded wire and put it under the screws pays for the device.

i dont know what CR type devices are, but I would think with stranded wire you would be using devices with backwire pressure plate type terminations. Prefer the 5262 type industrial grade receptacles, but BR15/BR20 can be had cheap enough that the labor savings over trying to twist a stranded wire and put it under the screws pays for the device.

Well Lets say I can buy a CR recept at a buck each. A BR recept will cost me at least $2.50 each............. Show me the savings as I always try to learn something new.

stevenje

It's all about speed and solid don't cut it. Harder to pull, harder to splice, harder to term. The price diff. in Syracuse ny isn't worth the trouble.

Personally I don't find solid any harder to pull than stranded. Please explain why you think it is harder to splice and terminate solid wire as to stranded.

jwjrw

Personally I don't find solid any harder to pull than stranded. Please explain why you think it is harder to splice and terminate solid wire as to stranded.

With solid wire when you are pulling into bends it tends to stuck easier then stranded. I think the stranded flexes around the bend easier.

jwjrw

I could see that if you're not pulling, but pushing a short, small run. Maybe some 12s through 2 or 3 90's in no more than 50' total.

It seemed to make it easier even while pulling but you are right when pushing it helps im sure.:D

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
? $2.00 recept.?
We use pressure plates per spec. on most jobs; prevailing wage jobs.
Pulling solid is harder, not if you just pull h/n/g, we try to use our pipe to the most cost advantage.
Do you twist your solid splice? We do. Not with stranded. Now push your splice back into the box, straighten the device in the box, faster with stranded.
On the few jobs with devices with out pressure plates, private work, we can wrap a screw just as fast if you know the tricks.
How about motor hook ups? solid to stranded or stranded to stranded. crimps, wire nuts, better with stranded.

peter d

Well Lets say I can buy a CR recept at a buck each. A BR recept will cost me at least $2.50 each............. Show me the savings as I always try to learn something new.

The last time I bought 5362's they were about $2 each, and this was at Lowes for a P&S device. They were even cheaper than at the supply house. The 5362 is better than a CR or BR 15/20.

cal1947

cal

cal

i rather payout solid wire off reels any day ,less chance of them getting tangled up and makes a better looking job when you are terminate them in a panel

hardworkingstiff

I prefer stranded for pulling, but solid is easier to terminate and make joints. I don't have a problem making joints with stranded (because I take my time to check them) but I've seen electricians not pay close attention and wind up with the wire nut pulling one of the stranded conductors up into the wire nut while pushing others out. If you don't check for this, you can have some nasty intermittent problems.

realolman

Stranded wire is wonderful and soft as the kiss of a lovely woman. Solid wire is like kiss from your great grandmother with a hairy mole near her upper lip.

You certainly get into it more than I do..... that's funny.:grin:

I always use stranded, and I try to utilize the conduit fill as much as is practical. I skin about 3 - 4 inches and cut out half the strands so where I fold them over and hook to the fishtape or rope is no bigger than the rest of the pull.

From my perspective it is more important to be able to easily get an ampmeter around the conductors, than to have them all standing straight like soldiers in a closed panel that few ever see.

For the past few years I've been using the crimp ferrules on the ends of the wires. The crimper is expensive, but it works really well and I am sold on them.

dduffee260

For me it is usually a 3 phase boat, shared neut + ground in a 1/2" home. Do not find it a big deal to pull.

Are you using 3 phase breaker handle ties when you do this?

Our specs call for soild for #10 and down. Most of the time we use solid #12 and stranded #10. They usually do not say anything about the #10 being stranded, but on an Abercrombie & Fitch they did make us pull #10. The panels were a booget to make up. Also if you are using #12 solid and you conduit runs are less than 2 ft and 270 degrees of bend you can push solid wire in the conduit instead of having to use a tape.

Last edited:

mivey

Stranded wire is wonderful and soft as the kiss of a lovely woman. Solid wire is like kiss from your great grandmother with a hairy mole near her upper lip.
But grandma's kiss is from the heart and she will always be there for you. Stranded is limp and won't stay where it is supposed to, much like many beauty queens.

But grandma's kiss is from the heart and she will always be there for you. Stranded is limp and won't stay where it is supposed to, much like many beauty queens.

Wow! I read that and had to think............. I think that is a prophetic statement. I could not agree more.

jwjrw

Wow! I read that and had to think............. I think that is a prophetic statement. I could not agree more.

I cant argue with either of the kiss arguements so I will just say....

I think stranded pulls easier
" solid looks better in panel
" solid is cheaper I like cheaper
" stranded pulls easier So I like that the most. Getting wires pulled can be hard enough so on LONG pulls give me stranded.

charlietuna

Many years ago we used strictly stranded. Then we started spec jobs requiring solid conductors on #10 or smaller --reasoning was the conductor damage during wire pulls. After a while we realized solid was the way to go. It's easier pulling if you were by yourself!! But wire pulling is a two man operation --and if they know what there doing --solid is easier. Much easier to terminate. And makes panel trim outs neat . End result is a better and safer installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.