3 way switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

billsnuff

you say tomato

you say tomato

OP said more than five steps, 5 treads = six risers to reach the landing.

just trying the correct terms, that's all. kinda like the term 'outlet' :D

mivey

OP said more than five steps, 5 treads = six risers to reach the landing.

just trying the correct terms, that's all. kinda like the term 'outlet' :D
There must be a good reason to use riser (probably much clearer). Let's put an outlet at the top & bottom of the stairs.:grin:

dsandberg

210.70.2.c

210.70.2.c

2) Additional Locations. Additional lighting outlets shall be installed in accordance with (A)(2)(a), (A)(2)(b), and (A)(2)(c).
(a) At least one wall switch?controlled lighting outlet shall be installed in hallways, stairways, attached garages, and detached garages with electric power.
(b) For dwelling units, attached garages, and detached garages with electric power, at least one wall switch?controlled lighting outlet shall be installed to provide illumination on the exterior side of outdoor entrances or exits with grade level access. A vehicle door in a garage shall not be considered as an outdoor entrance or exit.
(c) Where one or more lighting outlet(s) are installed for interior stairways, there shall be a wall switch at each floor level, and landing level that includes an entryway, to control the lighting outlet(s) where the stairway between floor levels has six risers or more.

480sparky

2) Additional Locations. Additional lighting outlets shall be installed in accordance with (A)(2)(a), (A)(2)(b), and (A)(2)(c).
(a) At least one wall switch?controlled lighting outlet shall be installed in hallways, stairways, attached garages, and detached garages with electric power.
(b) For dwelling units, attached garages, and detached garages with electric power, at least one wall switch?controlled lighting outlet shall be installed to provide illumination on the exterior side of outdoor entrances or exits with grade level access. A vehicle door in a garage shall not be considered as an outdoor entrance or exit.
(c) Where one or more lighting outlet(s) are installed for interior stairways, there shall be a wall switch at each floor level, and landing level that includes an entryway, to control the lighting outlet(s) where the stairway between floor levels has six risers or more.

Where is "3-way" or "three-way" in there?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Supposed you had a living room going into a kitchen with "one riser but zero steps": Would you tell a blind man to "step up", or would you just let him fall down because you say it is not a step? :grin:
Depends: Do I like this blind man? :cool:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Isn't it odd that the IRC only cares about the activation of the illumination and not the de-activation of it ;)

That's like saying that a breaker should ONLY turn off power and not supply it.

Right?

A breaker is for overcurrent protection and does not supply power to the circuit.

Am I incorrect?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Isn't it odd that the IRC only cares about the activation of the illumination and not the de-activation of it ;)
What next. Timers that mandate our lights are only allowed to be on for 10 minutes at a time?

That should fall under the Energy codes. :D
I tootally agree it is not for the NEC. The NEC mandates the stairs be illuminated. They don't care if the light is on all day just that it is on. Turning the power off is and should not be their priority.

Don't get me wrong. I am a nut about switching power off when I leave a room. Mandating it in the NEC is not where it belongs

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
What next. Timers that mandate our lights are only allowed to be on for 10 minutes at a time?

I tootally agree it is not for the NEC. The NEC mandates the stairs be illuminated. They don't care if the light is on all day just that it is on. Turning the power off is and should not be their priority.

Don't get me wrong. I am a nut about switching power off when I leave a room. Mandating it in the NEC is not where it belongs

Dennis

You are exactly right. Not the NEC. It is in the building code.

The building code states location. Just as in smoke detector location.

We wire furnaces but the NEC does not tell us where the furnace should be!

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
OK, so I've got old knees but with the 2 light, 2 S.P. switch setup and starting at the bottom of the steps, I could:

1) Turn on bottom light
2) Climb the stairs
3) Turn on the top light
4) Descend the stairs
5) Turn off the bottom light
6) Climb the stairs
7) Turn off the top light

Energy saved. No 3-way.

Mark

(As long as each light illuminates the entire stair case).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Dennis

You are exactly right. Not the NEC. It is in the building code.

The building code states location.

We've been through this. I disagree. I can have a motion activated switch or sp switch for a different light on each level.

You keep saying that the building code requires a 3 way. I totally disagree. Show me the wording. The words you posted before don't mention 3 way.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
We've been through this. I disagree. I can have a motion activated switch or sp switch for a different light on each level.

You keep saying that the building code requires a 3 way. I totally disagree. Show me the wording. The words you posted before don't mention 3 way.

Correct 3 way not mentioned.

"The control for activation of the required interior stairway lighting shall be accessible at the top and bottom of each stairway without traversing any steps."

This means no climing of stairs.

Motion yes, single no.

Are your seperate lights going to meet:

"303.6 Stairway illumination.

All interior and exterior stairways shall be provided with a means to illuminate the stairs, including the landings and treads. Interior stairways shall be provided with an artificial light source located in the immediate vicinity of each landing of the stairway. For interior stairs the artificial light sources shall be capable of illuminating treads and landings to levels not less than 1 foot-candles (11 lux) measured at the center of treads and landings."

It says "means" not multiple means.

You may pass your electrical inspection but would fail your occupancy inspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.