wirng bending

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSXR600

hey guys,
My foreman is having me enter the back of 400 amp ECB with a 4" conduit and there is 500kmil copper in the conduit isnt this in a violation of the nec?

please help

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
312.6 provides you with the requirements.(in your case I think 6")

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Actually there is no general wire bending requirement. The NEC lists requirements for spacing at terminations, sizing of 'pull' boxes, and distance between openings.

dmagyar

312.6(b).2

312.6(b).2

Check out the specific's of 312.6 where in my 2005 NEC handbook it talks about the maximum offset from the centerline of the conduit entrance. In the case of 500 mcm it would be 50% of the wire bending space of 6". Hope that sheds additional light.

cadpoint

Actually there is no general wire bending requirement. The NEC lists requirements for spacing at terminations, sizing of 'pull' boxes, and distance between openings.

Did they change that over the years, I thought there was a maximum bend limit based on the O.D. of the wire?

Gezz give me a Hickie Bender! :)

skeshesh

My somewhat irrelevant two-cents: I believe there are bending radii for data/comm wiring as well but not in the NEC (most likely in the relevant TIA/EIA standard, something like 585 or 586).

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
There are two sets of requirements:

1) Art. 312 gives the wire bending space requirements for conductors entering a Cabinet, Cutout Box or Meter enclosure. These requirements are based on the conductor size and are probably the requirements you are looking for with the ECB. (#8 and greater only)

2) Art. 314 gives space requirements for outlet boxes, junction boxes, etc. and the sizing is based on the size and number of conduits (or cable equivalents) entering the box. (#4 and greater only).

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.