PSI Master Exam Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirage

This is part of the info in the PSI candidate bulletin. I'm scheduled to take the exam in a couple of weeks. Does this mean I can bring my exam prep book? I called but haven't been able to get a real person on the phone.

The Master Electrician examination is open book.
? NFPA 70 - National Electrical Code, 2008, National Fire
Protection Association (NFPA), 1 Batterymarch Park,
Quincy, MA 02169, (800) 344-3555, www.nfpa.org
? Ohm?s Law
? Electrical Theory and Mathematics
? Practical Electrical Field Work Practices
? Local Code Rulings as Applicable
Reference books may be highlighted, underlined, and/or
indexed. They must be otherwise unmarked (not written in)
and may not contain additional papers (loose or attached).
THESE REFERENCES WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE IN THE TEST
CENTER.

ty

Where are you taking the exam?
In Balt. or a specific County?

When I took it, it was NEC only. It could have changed.
You can always take it with you, and they will tell you if you may or may not bring it in.

nakulak

I took it a month or two ago. all I brought was my NEC and calculators, but there were a couple guys there with a stack of books, so I'm guessin that was ok. (landover)

mirage

I'm taking it in Crofton. PG county. I'm thinking with my review prep and code book it should be a piece of cake.

mirage

I took it a month or two ago. all I brought was my NEC and calculators, but there were a couple guys there with a stack of books, so I'm guessin that was ok. (landover)

How was the test nakulak? I'm tempted to bring my stack of bookstoo but I don't think I'll have enough room to work. I've been using my 6'x3' dining room table and it's maxed out with practice tests and and ref. books and scrap paper and notes etc.

nakulak

well, don't take this the wrong way, but all the answers are in the NEC :grin:

I guess I should've asked what the deal was (since I was too stupid to know ahead of time), but like I said it looked like prep books were ok. test wasn't easy though, if you don't know it a stack of books isn't gonna help, but I imagine a couple of well chosen books that you know well might help.

kbsparky

In MD, if you are taking the exam administered by the State Board, you should be able to bring whatever reference materials they allow.

The State Board used to administer the exams themselves. It became a daunting task, so the Board contracted out this procedure several years ago. PSI apparently has the contract for now. PSI has testing centers located in Baltimore, College Park, Hagerstown and Salisbury.

Any county in MD that has their own electrical licensing board can also qualify and administer exams for Master Electrician. They may or may not allow the same reference materials as the State Board does.

Exams in MD are compiled from a list of questions that are submitted and maintained by MUELEC* -- which is comprised of members from each local electrical board, as well as the State Board. Each board submits questions and answers to the collective book. The local Boards as well as PSI then select questions from the book used in the exams. This ensures that the test is "different" each time one takes it, or from one location to the next. But all of them originate from the same pool of questions.

If you have a specific question about the procedures administered by the State Board, you can email Gae Herzberger, Administrative Aide at:

electric@dllr.state.md.us

Gae has been in this position at the State Board for many years, so she should be able to answer your questions, or point you to where you can obtain specific information.

*Maryland Uniform Electrical Licensing Exam Committee

JohnJ0906

According to my copy of the PSI book, the only book permitted is the NEC, with no notes added. (Highlighted, underlined, indexed OK) No other books permitted, and they are specific about the Handbook being not allowed. Page 3 in my copy. "Tips for exam preparation"

I took the test in '03, so the rules could have changed.

mirage

Well I just took it and passed. Woo hoo! You are allowed to bring any reference u want as long as it wasn't highlighted, or underlined. It was a lil easier than I expected. Could have been due to the Mike Holt exam prep or my amazing intellect, haven't decided yet:cool:. I brought my prep book in but I didn't need it. Like Nakulak said everything was in the code book. Now I'll tackle DC next. I hear it's a completely different animal. Even if you get past the paperwork.

ty

Well I just took it and passed. Woo hoo! You are allowed to bring any reference u want as long as it wasn't highlighted, or underlined. It was a lil easier than I expected. Could have been due to the Mike Holt exam prep or my amazing intellect, haven't decided yet:cool:. I brought my prep book in but I didn't need it. Like Nakulak said everything was in the code book. Now I'll tackle DC next. I hear it's a completely different animal. Even if you get past the paperwork.

Congratulations!

kbsparky

When I was on the MD Board, we administered those exams and graded them manually. Took all day for us, sometimes. It was during that time period that we implemented contracting this aspect out.

With the computerization of taking exams these days, you can find out your score and results almost instantaneously. When we manually graded them, it might be a month or more before learning ones test score, depending on the Board's schedule. We had to hold a special meeting sometimes to complete exam grading.

One thing I can tell you is that we tried the best we could to get those scores up to passing status, on those who scored within a couple of points of passing.

Anytime an exam was scored close like that, it would be passed to another board member for review to ensure that it was graded correctly.

Occasionally, an error might be found that changed the score.

There was at least one time I can remember where a test question was vaguely worded, or challenged by the applicant: His explanation was accepted and score given for having the insight and knowledge, and as a result the test question was either changed, or thrown out on subsequent exams.

The best exam I remember grading was for someone who got a 94 out of 100. We cheered him on when checking that one! :D

Congrats to you for your accomplishment. :)

JohnJ0906

Congrats!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.