Votes: 15 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Let's not get too political here, we don't want the moderators pulling this thread. In spite of the current economic outlook we're having fun by poking fun at the current situation. Here's a basic scenario of what's happening :

It's a slow day in a small East Texas town. The sun is beating down, and the streets are deserted. Times are tough,
everybody is in debt, and everybody lives on credit.

On this particular day a rich tourist from back east is driving through town. He stops at the motel and lays a $100 bill
on the desk saying he wants to inspect the rooms upstairs in order to pick one in which to spend the night.

As soon as the man walks upstairs, the owner grabs the bill and runs next door to pay his debt to the butcher.

The butcher takes the $100 and runs down the street to retire his debt to the pig farmer.

The pig farmer takes the $100 and heads off to pay his bill at the supplier of feed and fuel.

The guy at the Farmer's Co-op takes the $100 and runs to pay his debt to the local prostitute, who has also been
facing hard times and has had to offer her "services" on credit.

She then rushes to the hotel and pays off her room bill with the hotel owner.

The hotel proprietor then places the $100 back on the counter so the rich traveler will not suspect anything.

At that moment the traveler comes down the stairs, picks up the $100 bill, states that the rooms are not satisfactory,
pockets the money, and leaves town.

No one produced anything. No one earned anything. However, the whole town is now out of debt and now looks
to the future with a lot more optimism.

And that, my friend, is how the United States Government is conducting business today.;)

nhfire77

Goldstar, that is a wild and interesting analogy, I like that where did you get it?

I WANTED to vote positive, I think positive, but i cannot be positive. It will be another few years. The economy would have to grow somehing like 5% just to stay flat from last year, due to the drop.

I will be positive, because if I make it to the other side of the depression, success is waiting for me there. And is waiting for everyone else, we just have to make there.

codeunderstanding

I WANTED to vote positive, I think positive, but i cannot be positive. It will be another few years. The economy would have to grow somehing like 5% just to stay flat from last year, due to the drop.

I think it will be tough to see 5%-6% growth in GDP anymore. We didnt see that growth from the mid 1980s. The difference back then is the interest rates were really high and inflation was really high. Now interest rates are low as they can go and inflation is farly in check. Debt is unsustainable.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I'm glad so many of the replies are based on personal experience.

I've been hearing doom and gloom for 40 years, now I would say the last 40 years have been pretty good overall.

I remember people buying silver because the dollar was going to be inflated to the point of being worthless, probably 25 years ago.

I hooked up several y2k generators in '99 because civilization was going to crash.

I don't like this economy, but is it possible that its also temporary, just need to weather it out for a while longer?

My sources say gas is going to $8 per gallon (source: some guy at the auto parts place.)

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Let's not get too political here, we don't want the moderators pulling this thread. In spite of the current economic outlook we're having fun by poking fun at the current situation. Here's a basic scenario of what's happening :

It's a slow day in a small East Texas town. The sun is beating down, and the streets are deserted. Times are tough,
everybody is in debt, and everybody lives on credit.

On this particular day a rich tourist from back east is driving through town. He stops at the motel and lays a $100 bill
on the desk saying he wants to inspect the rooms upstairs in order to pick one in which to spend the night.

As soon as the man walks upstairs, the owner grabs the bill and runs next door to pay his debt to the butcher.

The butcher takes the $100 and runs down the street to retire his debt to the pig farmer.

The pig farmer takes the $100 and heads off to pay his bill at the supplier of feed and fuel.

The guy at the Farmer's Co-op takes the $100 and runs to pay his debt to the local prostitute, who has also been
facing hard times and has had to offer her "services" on credit.

She then rushes to the hotel and pays off her room bill with the hotel owner.

The hotel proprietor then places the $100 back on the counter so the rich traveler will not suspect anything.

At that moment the traveler comes down the stairs, picks up the $100 bill, states that the rooms are not satisfactory,
pockets the money, and leaves town.

No one produced anything. No one earned anything. However, the whole town is now out of debt and now looks
to the future with a lot more optimism.

And that, my friend, is how the United States Government is conducting business today.;)

Exactly, so why the hell are we worrying about our debts to each other? Instead of worrying about the money, let's investigate who owes who what so we can get rid of all this paperwork.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I know I'll catch some guff for this one and I will admit that it's only a personal opinion, but we've had it to good for to long here. Of course companies are going overseas. Why pay a worker here $40,000 a year plus benifits when you can go somewhere where the average annual income is $3,000. Let's not talk about quality, because these people don't care about quality they care about the bottom line just like everyone else.

If you had two helpers that were equal in every way, but one was willing to work for $5 an hour and the other wanted $10 an hour, which one would you take?

Greed is what has caused this problem and it was greed at the highest levels and nobody is being held accountable for it. So the same people that threw all of that money into the economy with the bogus home loans and the easy money, are now withholding it.

I know I'll catch some guff for this one and I will admit that it's only a personal opinion, but we've had it to good for to long here. Of course companies are going overseas. Why pay a worker here $40,000 a year plus benifits when you can go somewhere where the average annual income is $3,000. Let's not talk about quality, because these people don't care about quality they care about the bottom line just like everyone else.

If you had two helpers that were equal in every way, but one was willing to work for $5 an hour and the other wanted $10 an hour, which one would you take?

Greed is what has caused this problem and it was greed at the highest levels and nobody is being held accountable for it. So the same people that threw all of that money into the economy with the bogus home loans and the easy money, are now withholding it.

Yeh? What do you produce? Ready to take a 75% pay cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.