Figuring vacation hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I want to work for Larry!
With that policy I'd have 26 weeks vacation my next anniversary.
Well, not without limits. Plus, who says anyone would be with me that long? :cool:

As a side question how are you or how do you allow vacation to be taken?
We can take as little as 2 hours at a time But here it is called P.T.O. not sick leave or vacation.
Since we're a mom-n-pop shop, we're not real strict on personal or sick time, as long as it's discussed ahead of time when possible. We're pro-kids, and if someone needs a day or part-day for something involving their kids, like school or doctor stuff, we accomodate.

Of course, we also ask for the same flexibility in return, such as understanding less than full work days if we don't have the work, or letting someone knock off a half hour or so early without penalty in exchange for working over a half hour another day without overtime.

One thing we do is to not pay for paid holidays unless the day before and/or after (such as a Monday before, or a Friday after) a holiday is worked. That way, paid holidays don't turn into 4-day weekends where someone is willing to miss the in-between day of work.

Right now, only mom and pop work, and junior helps on occasion when we need him, so this has all become moot for us.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
One thing we do is to not pay for paid holidays unless the day before and/or after (such as a Monday before, or a Friday after) a holiday is worked. That way, paid holidays don't turn into 4-day weekends where someone is willing to miss the in-between day of work.

Right now, only mom and pop work, and junior helps on occasion when we need him, so this has all become moot for us.

We allow the day before or the day after a Holiday but only if it's pre-scheduled or if you have a doctors excuse. Calling in sick is going to cost you your holiday pay unless you have one of the above.

Thanks for all of the responses. I have been sidelined with a nasty head cold the past few days. I was able to read the responses but I was in such a fog I may as well have been reading Greek.

I still haven't had time to really comb through these but it is interesting to me that there are so many different ways to attack the same issue. It is almost as if there is no consensus at all on time off. These are the little details that I know that I never thought about when deciding to become an EC and I'm sure most people don't.

As my head clears I'll wade through the different ideas and hopefully comment on some of the specific thoughts.

Thanks

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Thanks for all of the responses. I have been sidelined with a nasty head cold the past few days. I was able to read the responses but I was in such a fog I may as well have been reading Greek.

I still haven't had time to really comb through these but it is interesting to me that there are so many different ways to attack the same issue. It is almost as if there is no consensus at all on time off. These are the little details that I know that I never thought about when deciding to become an EC and I'm sure most people don't.

As my head clears I'll wade through the different ideas and hopefully comment on some of the specific thoughts.

Thanks

my wife is director of compensation for an international firm. laws on this
vary quite a bit from state to state. if you want, send me a PM, and i'll ask
her to respond to you directly.

if you set policies in place, they can bite you in the butt later.

as i haven't had paid holidays since 1976, (with a six month exception)
i haven't a clue on this based on my own experience.

Article 90.1

HR laws are sticky and do vary by state. When I worked for a contractor it was always "no work, no pay." So If I wanted to drive around the country and take two weeks at once I had to save up for it, give a little notice and be on my merry way. I always felt this system was fair.

From an HR perspective, you need to have your company policy in writing. It needs to state how accrual works, anniversary dates, probationary periods, unused leave time, and how any other parts of it work. And what you do for one employee you MUST do for avery other. The catch is that you can class out different sets of employees. For example you might have a class for owners and managers, foremen, apprentices, summer help, part time, etc. Health insurance plans are famous for using the classing method.

The ramifications of running your HR legally are equally, and if not more important than how you handle your taxes. The last thing an employer wants or needs is an unfair labor practice filed on them.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Of course a lot of these suggestions make things pretty complicated, what's wrong with just giving each employee two or three weeks off a year and one or two weeks of sick time. Carry over the vacation and sick is use it or lose it.

The company my wife works for has a strange policy, where you have to take leave in 4 hour incriments so that it makes it easier on HR. For some reason they don't see how this cuts down on productivity. Go to the doctor in the morning, get done by 9:30 and then just go somewhere else until after lunch instead of back to the office.

Status
Not open for further replies.