Out of Town Customers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teaspoon

From time to time I have customers that live out of town/out of state.
They will call and request work to be done on property,they own here.
And give me an address to send my bill to.
How do you fellow Electricians handle these situations?
This usually works ok. But if a problem should arise.
I can see how it might become difficult to deal with.
Any comments,sugestions welcome.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It is always a risk. If they live in town and don't pay it can be a PITA to deal with.

I have done a few jobs where the HO is out of town and have not had a problem as yet. I guess they could give you the wrong address, etc. I would get their phone number and call them back just to make sure you have something.

GUNNING

I generally never have a problem with out of town landlords. Its the service companies I get stiffed by. Once I got stiffed by a squatter. Landlords don't want trouble just fair honest dealings. They want there tenets taken care of and happy and paying rent. Don't think twice about an absentee landlord. Just do the job and the money will show up later.

iwire

Staff member
I generally never have a problem with out of town landlords. Its the service companies I get stiffed by. Once I got stiffed by a squatter. Landlords don't want trouble just fair honest dealings. They want there tenets taken care of and happy and paying rent. Don't think twice about an absentee landlord. Just do the job and the money will show up later.

Did you just say landlords are OK?????:confused:

rich000

Get a credit card number before you start the work and charge a hold.

THEY are protected because they can always dispute with the CC company.

YOU are protected because it is a form of payment and if you do the work and have an invoice, the CC company can't dispute.

satcom

Then I guess the 12K they stiffed me for will show up later! I have been waiting 4 years, so later must be more then that.

Sparky555

Out of state customers can be good if you still get a signed contract by fax or email and get a sizable advance by credit card.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I have had exactly 2 customers that live in my town.

But I live in MA where the town changes every 5 minutes of driving.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You have to evaluate the situation and make a determination as to how much you might get stiffed for. If it's only for a couple of hours of work and a small amount of material that's a judgement call you make on the spot. If it's for an extensive amount of work, get some $$$ up front, make sure you have signed contracts and any other "red flag" item you can think of to protect you from getting burnt.

Status
Not open for further replies.