Adding disconnect from 1200 amp hydro vault switch to remote location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdotboys

Hi everyone. I am new to these forums and this will be my first post. This is my situation. In this hydro vault we have 2 switches installed, 400 amp and 1200 amp 347/600 volt. I am going to use this 1200 amp switch and install a 600 amp disconnect and then splitter in a remote room which is 20m away and size conductors according to 600 amp disconnect.

According to code smaller tap conductors must be 1/3 ampacity of the supply conductors to which they are connected and Tapping conductor maximum length must not exceed 7.5 meter (24.6 ft.)

Im my situation run is more than 7.5 meter. I guess code wont allow me to install 600 amp disconnect in remote space which is 20 meter from hydro vault. So my question is, for a 20 meter run do i have to size my wires according to 1200 amp hydro vault switch and install 1200 amp disconnect in remote room. I hope i explained my situation properly. Thanks guys and i am very happy that i found out about these forums. I will be learning a lot, i am sure.:)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Welcome to the Forum
I can only speak NEC not Candian Code and I don't speak NEC well, but taking that into account:

I see one possibility and even then it would be an AHJ call as these are not "service conductors". I'm unfamiliar with the term "hydro vault", but if you look at 230,6, if your "vault" meets the specifications, then the conductors would be considered "outside" and 240.21 (B)(5) would allow the tap.
If your vault qualifies, it certainly would be worth running the idea by the AHJ. If it's suitable for unprotected (service) conductors it would seem it would be acceptable for taps.

tdotboys

Welcome to the Forum
I can only speak NEC not Candian Code and I don't speak NEC well, but taking that into account:

I see one possibility and even then it would be an AHJ call as these are not "service conductors". I'm unfamiliar with the term "hydro vault", but if you look at 230,6, if your "vault" meets the specifications, then the conductors would be considered "outside" and 240.21 (B)(5) would allow the tap.
If your vault qualifies, it certainly would be worth running the idea by the AHJ. If it's suitable for unprotected (service) conductors it would seem it would be acceptable for taps.

Thanks for quick reply. By "Hydro Vault" i was reffering to transformer vault(by supply authority) which is part of the building.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
...I'm unfamiliar with the term "hydro vault",...
"Hydro" to many Canadians is the way they refer to their Electric Utility, as in "Hydro One" which is the current name of the old Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario. It's the same in British Columbia (BC Hydro) and Alberta (Canadian Hydro). Took me a while to get used to also when I worked up there. I kept thinking people were talking about the local Water Works company.

So he is referring to his Utility vault.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If that's the case I'm unsure who in your area has jurisdiction of would make the call, but my opinion is you could get approval easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.