Working space

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainfixer

I am installing a new sub panel in a new attached garage addition that will be used as a heated shop area. I will be installing the panel recessed into the wall with the front flush with the drywall surface. I will have a clear space 30 inches wide from floor to ceiling for working space. Can I install the following within the working space? One: Light switches to control overhead lights. They will protrude no more than 1 inch into the working space measured from the front of the panel. Two: A baseboard heater that will extend from the left side into the working space 15 inches towards the right and that will protrude no more than 2-1/2 inches into the space as measured from the panel front. Three: A 208 v 30 amp receptacle for a plug connected machine. The receptacle will protrude no more than 1 inch as measured from the panel face and will be to the right of and not directly over the heater.
I would assume this installation to be OK since the working space is includes only parts of the "electrical equipment", nothing protrudes more than 6 inches, and the rest of the space is clear for the proper dimensions. I can see the receptacle might be an issue due to the cord protruding when a plug is installed, but the cord can be removed or restrained.
trainfixer

raider1

Staff member
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report.gif
button at the top right corner of the post.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
After receiving a P.M. form the OPer clarifying that they are permitted to perform electrical work that must conform to the NEC I am re-opening this thread.

I apologize for any problems that any delay in this thread may have caused.

Chris

jwjrw

After receiving a P.M. form the OPer clarifying that they are permitted to perform electrical work that must conform to the NEC I am re-opening this thread.

I apologize for any problems that any delay in this thread may have caused.

Chris

If I understand your situation correctly I would say it is ok.
Recetacles directly under a panel do not interfere with working space. Nor do switches

Volta

I am installing a new sub panel in a new attached garage addition that will be used as a heated shop area. I will be installing the panel recessed into the wall with the front flush with the drywall surface. I will have a clear space 30 inches wide from floor to ceiling for working space. Can I install the following within the working space? One: Light switches to control overhead lights. They will protrude no more than 1 inch into the working space measured from the front of the panel. Two: A baseboard heater that will extend from the left side into the working space 15 inches towards the right and that will protrude no more than 2-1/2 inches into the space as measured from the panel front. Three: A 208 v 30 amp receptacle for a plug connected machine. The receptacle will protrude no more than 1 inch as measured from the panel face and will be to the right of and not directly over the heater.
I would assume this installation to be OK since the working space is includes only parts of the "electrical equipment", nothing protrudes more than 6 inches, and the rest of the space is clear for the proper dimensions. I can see the receptacle might be an issue due to the cord protruding when a plug is installed, but the cord can be removed or restrained.
trainfixer

Tough call, but I would question the heater being "associated with the electrical installation", and say that wouldn't comply, even if electrically powered.

I would have no concern with the receptacle below the panel. That should meet 110.26(A)(3) ok. If the switch would not be below the panel, it may be a technical violation. Imagining the 30" width as a plane, the toggle would protrude.

The receptacle would too, but "above or below" makes it ok, as long as it is "associated". I think it is.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I would assume this installation to be OK since the working space is includes only parts of the "electrical equipment", nothing protrudes more than 6 inches, and the rest of the space is clear for the proper dimensions.
I think you are misreading 110.26(A)(3). It is not saying that you can put anything electrical within the working space, so long as it protrudes no more than 6 inches into the space. An item is permitted within that restriction ONLY IF it is "associated with the electrical installation." Neither the receptacle, nor the switch, nor the baseboard heater would qualify as being "associated with" the panel. So I would say that they should not be within the working space.

jwjrw

I think you are misreading 110.26(A)(3). It is not saying that you can put anything electrical within the working space, so long as it protrudes no more than 6 inches into the space. An item is permitted within that restriction ONLY IF it is "associated with the electrical installation." Neither the receptacle, nor the switch, nor the baseboard heater would qualify as being "associated with" the panel. So I would say that they should not be within the working space.

Not that I disagree with what you are saying but I see many surface mount panels with a 1/2" offset nipple and a fs box or 4sq attached to the panels.
I always assumed it was ok because they pass inspection. Guess it is another case of how you interpert the code:D

EDIT but he said in the wall... My situation was surface different all the way..

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Not that I disagree with what you are saying but I see many surface mount panels with a 1/2" offset nipple and a fs box or 4sq attached to the panels.
I always assumed it was ok because they pass inspection. Guess it is another case of how you interpert the code:D

EDIT but he said in the wall... My situation was surface different all the way..

Charlieb may be correct, but I have passed the installations you describe.
I guess it's a judgment call as to "associated with", but truthfully, I never gave it much thought as I'm tickled to see required working space even with receptacles.
The heater I would probably question (not only from 110.16 but from the receptacle above a heater FPN)

mcclary's electrical

The working space starts at the "face" of the panel. A surface mounted panel, with an offset nipple to a 4" sq w/ GFI is perfectly legal. The op's case says the panel is flush mounted, anything on that wall in that 30",,,,,,,the heater, the receptacles (as soon as something is plugged in), and the switch violate the working space and are therfore illegal.

jwjrw

The working space starts at the "face" of the panel. A surface mounted panel, with an offset nipple to a 4" sq w/ GFI is perfectly legal. The op's case says the panel is flush mounted, anything on that wall in that 30",,,,,,,the heater, the receptacles (as soon as something is plugged in), and the switch violate the working space and are therfore illegal.

You missed my edit:D

Jim W in Tampa

I would have issues with heater as it is not equipment. If the switch controls the light for panel area i would say it is part of the equipment as light is needed. The receptacle while not likely to cause a problem is violation and is not required for electric room / area.
As an inspector i would only tag the heater

Status
Not open for further replies.