Help with a commercial estimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I am now doing more estimating than ever before. I am trying to come up with the hours to install 60 heat detectors above a suspended ceiling.

It is a store with a sales floor about 200' x 300'

The suspended ceiling is 14'AFF, the top cord of the steel is about 19' to 23' AFF. I have to put the detectors up at the deck. All I can come up with is to rent one man lifts and have the guys take out a T at each location so they can get up to the deck.

All 60 will be wired with MC cable that also has to be run up in the steel.

Right now I am thinking 2.5 hrs per device but not sure how to figure the MC installation.

ceb58

I am now doing more estimating than ever before. I am trying to come up with the hours to install 60 heat detectors above a suspended ceiling.

It is a store with a sales floor about 200' x 300'

The suspended ceiling is 14'AFF, the top cord of the steel is about 19' to 23' AFF. I have to put the detectors up at the deck. All I can come up with is to rent one man lifts and have the guys take out a T at each location so they can get up to the deck.

All 60 will be wired with MC cable that also has to be run up in the steel.

Right now I am thinking 2.5 hrs per device but not sure how to figure the MC installation.

National estimator has it at 10.5 man hours per 1000 ft of 12-3. But with the working conditions you have described I dont think doubling that amount would be too much.

ivsenroute

? Add 10% to 15% when working temperatures are below 40 degrees or above 95 degrees."
? Add 15% to 25% for work on a ladder or a scaffold, in a crawl space, in a congested area or remote from the material storage point."
? Deduct 10% when the work is in a large open area with excellent access and good light."
? Add 1% for each 10 feet materials must be lifted above ground level."
? Add 5% to 50% for tradesmen with below average skills. Deduct 5% to 25% for highly motivated, highly skilled tradesmen."
? Deduct 10% to 20% when an identical task is repeated many times for several days at the same site."
? Add 30% to 50% on small jobs where fitting and matching of materials is required, adjacent surfaces have to be protected and the job site is occupied during construction."
? Add 25% to 50% for work done following a major flood, fire, earthquake, hurricane or tornado while skilled tradesmen are not readily available. Material costs may also be higher after a major disaster."
? Add 10% to 35% for demanding specs, rigid inspections, unreliable suppliers, a difficult owner or an inexperienced architect."

~Shado~

? Add 10% to 15% when working temperatures are below 40 degrees or above 95 degrees."
? Add 15% to 25% for work on a ladder or a scaffold, in a crawl space, in a congested area or remote from the material storage point."
? Deduct 10% when the work is in a large open area with excellent access and good light."
? Add 1% for each 10 feet materials must be lifted above ground level."
? Add 5% to 50% for tradesmen with below average skills. Deduct 5% to 25% for highly motivated, highly skilled tradesmen."
? Deduct 10% to 20% when an identical task is repeated many times for several days at the same site."
? Add 30% to 50% on small jobs where fitting and matching of materials is required, adjacent surfaces have to be protected and the job site is occupied during construction."
? Add 25% to 50% for work done following a major flood, fire, earthquake, hurricane or tornado while skilled tradesmen are not readily available. Material costs may also be higher after a major disaster."
? Add 10% to 35% for demanding specs, rigid inspections, unreliable suppliers, a difficult owner or an inexperienced architect."

Now ..... you have to add 25% just to work all these number variables into it.....:D:D:D

charlie k.

Bob, I have seen a scissors lift that goes through a 2x4 tile. It is more stable and better than the old one man lift. All of the one man jobs I have seen require outriggers and what a pain. Also the 2x4 lift is self propelled.
If I could get to my van I would give you the model number.

Charlie

NewOnMyOwn

I second the self propelled One-Man Lift, MUCH faster than having the wheel around model that needs the outriggers installed. However, the ones I have used are wider than 2' so they would still need a T removed to fit thru the ceiling.

What's on the floor of this place, is it full of product for you to move, cover, or work around?

iwire

Staff member
I second the self propelled One-Man Lift, MUCH faster than having the wheel around model that needs the outriggers installed.

That was my plan, we would get nothing done with a push around. :)

However, the ones I have used are wider than 2' so they would still need a T removed to fit thru the ceiling.

That has been my experience as well, I just checked the JLG website and they have 15' model that the platform is 22 x 22 but the 20' has a 26 x 26 platform.

What's on the floor of this place, is it full of product for you to move, cover, or work around?

It is supermarket, so there is room to drive but to travel side to side you have to drive around the shelving.

nhfire77

Bob-

How are you securing the MC, is it just laying between the bar joist/zip ties or Snap Clips?

Is this overnight?

benaround

Bob,

I think that is a tight bid, with the right guys on the job it can be done. With 4 guys you

would have less than a week at 2.5 hr. each. I see a lot of ceiling work to run and support

the MC every 4.5 ft.. I'm surprised the co. does not have 'shop records' of similar work for

you to go by. It's tuff for a field guy to go into estimating, he knows to much, take your

best guess and go for it. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.