Grounding isolated ground recepicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-R

Could someone confirm for me when using HCF MCAP it is allowed not to bond green equip ground conductor to box for isolated ground recepicles as 250.146d Thanks for the help

erickench

I believe the equipment ground for an isolated grounding receptacle can pass through boxes and enclosures unbonded all the way back to the panel where the circuit originated.:cool:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I believe the equipment ground for an isolated grounding receptacle can pass through boxes and enclosures unbonded all the way back to the panel where the circuit originated.:cool:
Correct. You basically treat it like a circuit conductor until it reaches the MBJ point.

HighVoltage4160

Do I have to ground to the metal box and the panel ground

Do I have to ground to the metal box and the panel ground

If I am installing an isolated ground circuit do I have to ground first to the metal box of the receptacle and then straight back to the panel or from the receptacle straight back to the panel without grounding to the box?

If I am installing an isolated ground circuit do I have to ground first to the metal box of the receptacle and then straight back to the panel or from the receptacle straight back to the panel without grounding to the box?

FPN 250.146(D) Correct me if I am wrong but you need a seperate EGC for the box and raceway seperate from the isolated EGC

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Go to www.ecmweb.com/mag/electric_basics_isolated_grounding/index.html

Not so sure I agree with all of this information but would like to get some responses back on this subject. Basically I feel if the isolated ground receptacle conductor is not ran back to the main panel/system ground you are wasting your time and dollars installing this equipment. Just use regular receptacles.

Which information are you disagreeing with?

I agree that the IG to be of any use must be run back to the point where the neutral and ground are bonded together.

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
Which information are you disagreeing with?

I agree that the IG to be of any use must be run back to the point where the neutral and ground are bonded together.

We did a floor in a commercial bldg. that was powered from 2 200A subpanels.

In certain areas, Isolated Ground receptacles were spec'd, and those had a separate ground conductor that landed at the equipment ground bus at a subpanel.

The alternative would have been an additional run of approx. 200 ft, mostly straight down, to bsmt. and SBJ location.

The engineer signed off on our installation, but as we know some engineers will sign off on a ham sandwich--(not the ones in the forum, of course :))

Is the setup as described "of any use" ?

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We did a floor in a commercial bldg. that was powered from 2 200A subpanels.

In certain areas, Isolated Ground receptacles were spec'd, and those had a separate ground conductor that landed at the equipment ground bus at a subpanel.

The alternative would have been an additional run of approx. 200 ft, mostly straight down, to bsmt. and SBJ location.

The engineer signed off on our installation, but as we know some engineers will sign off on a ham sandwich--(not the ones in the forum, of course :))

Is the setup as described "of any use" ?

IMO in a commercial building as you've described the IG system is a complete waste of someone's money. And judging from the way that your system was setup I wouldn't even call it an IG system. I'm a little baffled as to why someone would want an IG system in the first place and secondly why they would allow the IG EGC's to simply terminate in a branch circuit panel. :-?

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
The way it was installed is actually how it was spec'd by ee. Nobody wanted to spend the money to core drill to bsmt. but it was felt that landing the IG 80 feet away protected some electronics better than not having IG.

Status
Not open for further replies.