From a resent post - 12v lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinZip

Hi Folk's

In a resent post I asked about Installing 12 volt lighting on the out side wall of a gunite pool and we all know what the NEC says about this so I wont go over it again but to my surprise I found this out today.

Here in the state of Virginia we have in addition to the NEC is the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code.

Well today we had a meeting with a head electrical Inspector about Installing 12 volt lighting on the outside wall of this pool and the out come left me speechless - He says your good to go according to the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code ( I will post the code article below ) so I said to him how can this be with what is laid out in the NEC and he opened the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code and showed me this

108.2 Exemptions from application for permit. Not withstanding the requirements of Section 108.1, application for a permit and any related inspections shall not be required for the following; however, this section shall not be construed to exempt such activities from other applicable requirements of this code. In addition, when an owner or an owner?s agent requests that a permit be issued for any of the following, then a permit shall be issued and any related inspections shall be required.
1. Installation of wiring and equipment that (i) operates at less than 50 volts, (ii) is for network powered broadband communications systems, or (iii) is exempt under Section 102.3(1), except when any such installations are located in a plenum, penetrate fire rated or smoke protected construction or are a component of any of the following.
1.1. Fire alarm system.
1.2. Fire detection system.
1.3. Fire suppression system.
1.4. Smoke control system.
1.5. Fire protection supervisory system.
1.6. Elevator fire safety control system.
1.7. Access or egress control system or delayed egress locking or latching system.
1.8. Fire damper.
1.9. Door control system.

As I stood there stunned he says if you don't need a permit there is nothing to Inspect except for the trench that this cabling will lay in , now he has been an Inspector for 27 yrs an head Inspector for 15 yrs and has been a friend for 30 yrs , and let me tell you he pushes the code.

I still don't like it because of what the NEC says but it now looks doable except for the liability if someone did get hurt (shocked)

Here is the link to the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code if anyone cares to look and what are your thoughts on this finding.

http://www.dhcd.virginia.gov/StateB...s/PDFs/2006/2006_VirginiaConstructionCode.pdf

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I still don't like it because of what the NEC says but it now looks doable except for the liability if someone did get hurt (shocked)

Just out of curiosity how would the liability change if you installed this as per the local code?

WinZip

NEC it's is not aloud and would not be done so there is no liability , but I am not so sure that this local code is correct and could there be liability in the future.

quogueelectric

The reason to not do it , it's not just liability. See here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwkIF7LEo7Y and here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PITDD2eep_Q etc...

Things like this should not happen nowadays. I think that there are a lot of electrocution hazards all over that go unnoticed. How many times have you come close to seeing your maker and never even knew it. If this was an untrained trunkslamer install I feel he should go to jail and think about what he did for 10 yrs or so. He would be happy that I am not the Judge.

mxslick

Buck, while the videos convey a very important message, both instances were with line-voltage shocks involved.

I can only say that with all the extensive experiences I have had so far with LV landscape wiring (and my LV controls systems I work with all the time) I have NEVER gotten even a tingle while working them live.

I am NOT saying it is impossible, just that I haven't experienced it and think it poses no hazard.

I personally, Code position aside, have no problem with installing LV lighting near a pool. In fact, I think if you use the proper LV transformer, (with a grounded shield between the primary and secondary windings) I recall that certain LV installs are permitted by Code anyway. (Unless I'm wrong, in which case I blame faulty memory.)

Status
Not open for further replies.