Panelview Component

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
AB rep has talked me into trying the Panelview Component. Lower cost for the smaller screens.

Is it my imagination, my equipment, or me but it just seems to take forever to get anything done with it. I accepted that there will be a learnig curve but HS its like watching snails race.

StephenSDH

Allen Bradley isn't known for their software. Their quality standards for releasing a product are substandard. Their goal is to be out in the market as soon as possible and use the customer to debug their product. I have had alot of pain with all their software when it first came out.

Good Luck, Steve

StephenSDH

This is from another forum

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=45280

Another Forum said:
What was AB thinking when they came out with this component series? My AB panelview component C600 experience was horrible. What a huge waste of time. I should have just used a standard Paneview and my builder software. I have programmed hundreds of HMI's over the years and this was by far the worst...sooo slow and confusing just to connect to to configure.

So I got hooked by the "configuration software builtin" feature but that feature is the unit's biggest downfall (although the construction is also cheesy...the clear front plastic slaps against the back window when touching the screen). Tech support will fully admit there are issues with this confugation setup.

Essentially, you program the thing through Internet Explorer browser so the panelview acts as a web server website so when you want to configure an application, you have to wait for all the configuration application to download to your browser including all the tools, menus and configured screens, etc...extremely slow. The "no software" claim is sort of false, if connecting using USB, need to install USB driver and the install not real straight forward. If configuring an application using the "emulator" lord have mercy on you as the Microsoft virtual machine needs to be installed which is an hour process and keep your fingers crossed it doesn't mess up your machine. The only thing the emulator does is display screens and navigate through the screens but can't "run" or connect to PLC. It does do a pretty good job of representing the extreme slowness of programming the unit as if you were actually connected to a real unit even though it is on your PC. Click on a tag or a screen that has not been loaded get the message "Please wait while data downloading" Five second delay just to get the blank box to manually enter in a new tag. As far as anyone could tell me, there is no way to automatically import a tag list so they all need to be typed in.
What were they thinking? Based on my fustrations and wasted time just trying to program this thing, I highly recommend NOT using the Panelview component series.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Ended up with a Cmor from Automation direct. Was a lot easier to connect via ethernet than what I expected... other than a couple HUA moments. Also discovered that the ML 1100 I have as a demo could care less which HMI, Cmor or Panelview Component, is making the request for action. Many of you had already told me that multiple HMIs would be no problem. Wasn't doubting, just nice to make it work with my own little hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.