Comm cable routing through fire rated wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Is a sleeve required where communications cables run through a fire rated wall?

These are existing cables that run through the wall of a computer room (Article 645 room). The cables are sealed with fire rated caulk. But there isn't any sleeve or conduit stub through the wall.

We normally specify a sleeve, and that's what I normally see, but I don't know if the sleeve is required per code.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the cable is listed to penetrate a fire rated wall I would guess that there is no requirement for a sleeve. Similar to when MC cable penetrates the same wall without a sleeve.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
If the cable is listed to penetrate a fire rated wall I would guess that there is no requirement for a sleeve. Similar to when MC cable penetrates the same wall without a sleeve.

This is standard Cat 5 data cable, so I'm not sure if it is listed to penetrate a wall.

Steve

eprice

There are tested through penetration assemblies that just use fire caulk. What you describe would be acceptable if it meets the conditions of a tested assembly. Here is an example of a tested assembly from the UL web site.

The code doesn't specify how it is to be done, it just requires that a tested assembly be used.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.