suggestions please on contactor supply . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
installed wiring for a spa recently at in-laws house. . . .

spa tub is accessible from top floor, motors/heater are accessed from below deck on first floor patio.

main disconnect is located @ motor access, SP switch controlling 50A contactor is employed on top floor as disconnecting means.

that switch needs to be there because my young nieces are frequently using this spa, and I want it for their safety.

50A contactor sounds like a bee hive now and must remain on at all times to keep timers for cleaning working correctly.

Contactor is NO so that if the coil supply circuit is tripped the spa will disconnect.

Recommendations for something that will not buzz?

I'm thinking a 12v relay similar to what we use in automation controls for pools. Anyone have a reference for the 50A variety?

Is it acceptable to use a NC contactor and tap the coil supply from the spa feed? The purpose would be knowing that the circuit for contactor control is still working.

Last edited:

kbsparky

A new contactor should not be sounding like a beehive. You may have gotten some dirt or other debris into it's guts. Also, I've seen rusting of the steel coils cause such racket.

I have some lighting contactors that have been in service for many years that still operate quietly. And these are electrically held.

You could opt for a mechanically held unit, or clean or replace the noisy culprit.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i have to take it back then. it was whisper quiet when I connected it; started buzzing within about two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.