just wondering...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Bob

1-How many of you all are NFPA members.?

I get invitations to join all the time and even thought about doing it, i know it cost $150.00 a year which is not cheap.
I believe you have access to NEC experts, so to speak, and subscription to thei journal a well.

2-Is there any other journal/magazine out there you guys recieved that they are worth reading and paying for?

Thanks.

drbond24

I am not, but I'm always getting their junk in the mail. I get a kick out of it because they say something like "we have reviewed our records and found that you are not a member of the NFPA." I've always wanted to call them and ask to see this list they have of all the people in the world that are not members. :D:D

That's all I had to offer. :)

Charlie Bob

I am not, but I'm always getting their junk in the mail. I get a kick out of it because they say something like "we have reviewed our records and found that you are not a member of the NFPA." I've always wanted to call them and ask to see this list they have of all the people in the world that are not members. :D:D
. :)

Yeah i get the same thing. I don't know if they got access to licenses thru the state, i bought my 2005 NEC code book thru them back then. That may be the records they are talking about.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Many years ago I needed to get a clarification on a tricky NEC requirement. So my company paid to get me a membership, so that I could then call the editor and ask him directly what was meant by the NEC language. He was very helpful, and we were able to make use of the information he provided. That was the last time an employer was willing to pay my membership. I have not renewed since. My present employer has a corporate membership, so I can get free on-line access (including the search, copy, and print functions that you can't get if you are not a member) to any NFPA standard I need.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For me $150/year is too much. Isn't the NFPA a not-for-profit organization? It certainly can't cost them anywhere near that to send me a magazine and give me some online access. :roll:

Cold Fusion

Many years ago I needed to get a clarification on a tricky NEC requirement. So my company paid to get me a membership, so that I could then call the editor and ask him directly what was meant by the NEC language. He was very helpful, and we were able to make use of the information he provided. ...
I'm curious about that. I got an ad (attached) and immediately noticed the "hot line access" See bullet point 1. That would be handy - especially if one could get a written statement out of them. Anecdotal transcripts of telcons don't do much to convince AHJs.

Can you tell me any more?

cf

ron

I am a member.
I get a journal that has an occasional interesting article.
I've used the Technical Document Interpretation service on several occasions with success.
It is just the cost of doing business.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
. . . immediately noticed the "hot line access" . . . Can you tell me any more?
Not really. This was at least 15 years ago. It wasn't a matter of "hot line access," but rather a telephone call I made to the NEC editor. Or at least I seem to recall that that was his title at the time. Looking at the 2008 edition, his name is still there, but he has a different title. No need to mention names. He spoke to me, and answered my question, but I don't think I asked him to confirm it by sending me a letter.

Volta

I was for years, but by the time they had tripled the annual fee I dropped it. They didn't quite live up to the various offers, never was able to get much support.

I don't really have a problem with the cost, it was the increase that bugged me. And they send out enough bound printed matter to be a fire hazard! :grin::roll:

I do like the services they provide in general. If they need to charge more for membership and popular standards to continue providing other less-used standards then so be it.

N844AA

I was a member for a year, did not renew as $150 is way too much. I didn't renew my BICSI membership either as none of my customers care what organizations I belong to.

NECplus is another over priced offering from NFPA. Not impressed.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
1-How many of you all are NFPA members.?

I get invitations to join all the time and even thought about doing it, i know it cost $150.00 a year which is not cheap.
I believe you have access to NEC experts, so to speak, and subscription to thei journal a well.

2-Is there any other journal/magazine out there you guys recieved that they are worth reading and paying for?

Thanks.
I keep up my IAEI mebership, get 6 magazines a year and a discount on code book. And a card to keep in my billfold.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
While you can get an opinion on the meaning of one of the technical documents, that opinion, like the ones in the handbook or the ones posted on this forum, are just that ...an opinion that holds no official weight. The only path to binding answer to the meaning of any of their technical documents is to request a formal interpenetration and it takes some time to get that as it has to be voted on by the technical committee that has jurisdiction over the portion of the document that covers the question. Being a member does not change this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.