Are Challenger and SQ-D QO Breakers Interchangeable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David40

Does anyone have any information on, or know if Challenger and Square-D QO type circuit breakers are interchangeable? They look very similar.
Thanks

norcal

Does anyone have any information on, or know if Challenger and Square-D QO type circuit breakers are interchangeable? They look very similar.
Thanks

The only breakers that interchange w/ QO are Cutler-Hammer & Siemens UL classified QO replacements, if someone is a hack they can FUBAR a Cutler-Hammer type CH breaker into a QO loadcenter, since they are the same width & clip on the bus stab in the same way but clip onto the panel interior differently.

A Challenger or a SQ D HO line are 1" in width compared to a QO is 3/4", which makes it impossible to interchange them.

David40

Now that I think of it I think it is Cutler-Hammer not Challenger. I have a ton of the QO laying around and I'd like to use them up instead of having to buy a new Cutler-Hammer breaker on those rare occasions where I run into a Cutler-Hammer panel. Is it easier to get a QO into a Cutler-Hammer panel than the other way around?

jwjrw

Now that I think of it I think it is Cutler-Hammer not Challenger. I have a ton of the QO laying around and I'd like to use them up instead of having to buy a new Cutler-Hammer breaker on those rare occasions where I run into a Cutler-Hammer panel. Is it easier to get a QO into a Cutler-Hammer panel than the other way around?

Cutler Hammer has CH and BR both are different in the way they mount.
A Challenger is a BR style breaker

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor

You will regret it.

dana1028

Cutler-Hammer has 'classified' breakers that have been UL tested and 'classified' to be put into a SQ D QO panel...however, I know of no such classification for SQ D breakers being classified to put into other mfr's panels.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The manufacturer of the breaker says do not do it. Square D does not 'approve' of having any of their breakers installed into any other manufacturer's panels.

Status
Not open for further replies.