Smoke Detectors mounted to a single gang box

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwiremup

Any code issues about mounting smoke detectors to a single gang plastic box instead of a round box? Just curious about this, I saw it the other day and was curious as to what is preferred. I myself prefer the round box.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Any code issues about mounting smoke detectors to a single gang plastic box instead of a round box? Just curious about this, I saw it the other day and was curious as to what is preferred. I myself prefer the round box.

I cannot imagine that being an issue.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
No problem.....The mounting plates adapt to any kind of box and the single gang's are a lot cheaper than the 4/0's.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I saw it the other day and was curious as to what is preferred.
Next time you open up a line powered smoke, look at the mounting holes in the mounting plate. The smoke manufacturer will almost certainly have a set of holes that are in between the 3.25" and 4" holes of the round box mount. This set of "in between" holes are spaced for the standard wall case screw mount.

My point: The manufacturer has no preference.

480sparky

.......and the single gang's are a lot cheaper than the 4/0's.

smiley-winner.gif

raider1

Staff member
Single gang plastic boxes are all I see for smoke alarms.

Here is what the 2008 NEC says about using them.

314.27 Outlet Boxes.
(E) Utilization Equipment. Boxes used for the support of utilization equipment other than ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall meet the requirements of 314.27(A) and (B) for the support of a luminaire that is the same size and weight.

Exception: Utilization equipment weighing not more than 3 kg (6 lb) shall be permitted to be supported on other boxes or plaster rings that are secured to other boxes, provided the equipment or its supporting yoke is secured to the box with no fewer than two No. 6 or larger screws.

Chris

walkerj

I have always used a single gang.

The first time I saw a round box for a smoke I couldn't figure out why they wanted a light right inside the bedroom door:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.