"Shore Power" for stationary standby generators

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeTX

When an external ?shore power? feed is brought to a stationary standby generator to power a auxiliary devices like a battery charger, jacket water (coolant) heater, etc., does that feed need a genset based disconnect under 225.31 or other articles?

ceb58

When an external ?shore power? feed is brought to a stationary standby generator to power a auxiliary devices like a battery charger, jacket water (coolant) heater, etc., does that feed need a genset based disconnect under 225.31 or other articles?

Can you explain "shore power"? The circ. we run back to the gen set from our communication tower building is wired into a recp. mounted inside the gen. incloser. The breaker is inside the building fed from the MDP. The battery charger and block heater are cord and plug connected, which would be the disconnecting means for this equipment. We have never had any problem with inspections with this type installation.

MikeTX

Thanks for the response. Your installation is exactly what I'm trying to describe. The "shore power" is the external power source (i.e. communication tower building). I'm told that a cord-plug cannot be used as a disconnect. However, I've seen small halogen worklights without a switch, so its cord-plug must be the disconnect.

Do you know if there is a wattage/current limit for using a cord-plug as a disconnect?

ceb58

Thanks for the response. Your installation is exactly what I'm trying to describe. The "shore power" is the external power source (i.e. communication tower building). I'm told that a cord-plug cannot be used as a disconnect. However, I've seen small halogen worklights without a switch, so its cord-plug must be the disconnect.

Do you know if there is a wattage/current limit for using a cord-plug as a disconnect?

Do not know of a situation that it would not be the disconnecting means.
If it's good enough for a 400amp welder it should be OK for a drop light.

MikeTX

I'm looking at a KimHotStart block heater and they have a sticker by the plug that states "Wiring Harness, Maximum Electrical Rating 1800W 120V 15A, NOT FOR INTERRUPTING CURRENT"

ceb58

I'm looking at a KimHotStart block heater and they have a sticker by the plug that states "Wiring Harness, Maximum Electrical Rating 1800W 120V 15A, NOT FOR INTERRUPTING CURRENT"

Chances are the wording "not for interrupting current" would mean it doesn't have built in GFCI protection as some equipment being mfg. do. 427.55 B states that for 20amp or less and 150v to ground or less the cord is permitted to be the disconnecting means.

Status
Not open for further replies.