Passed Chicago Exam......

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJameson

Passed on the first try, it was friggin' tough.

Quick question to anyone else who took this test....how long did it take to get your license from the city? It's been 5 weeks since I sent in my application.

Chicago Exam

Chicago Exam

Hi DJameson,
Congratulations on the exam.
I also intend to sit the Chicago electrical exam in May and would love to get a study plan together to give me the best chance of passing. Can you advise me on how you approached your exam??? Are there certain study materials you recommend??? Did you take any seminars??? etc....
Regards

nyhockey

Hi DJameson,
Congratulations on the exam.
I also intend to sit the Chicago electrical exam in May and would love to get a study plan together to give me the best chance of passing. Can you advise me on how you approached your exam??? Are there certain study materials you recommend??? Did you take any seminars??? etc....
Regards

Good Luck. :DNo matter were ever you take the test you should take a seminar in that location and if you have time you should study in groups. a study partner might be able to explain things easier then the instructor. This POA worked for me a few times. :cool:

DJameson

I studied on my own, just got really familiar how the Chicago Code Book is layed out. The book you bring in has to be completely unmarked.

IBEW 134 has a Code class which I took, but it wasn't a big help for this test. I'm not sure of other seminars.

If You go here: http://egov.cityofchicago.org/webportal/COCWebPortal/COC_EDITORIAL/ElecStudyGuide012009.pdf

They give you an overview of what the test covers. Granted, it's very vague.

Hope this helps.

The biggest problem I'm having is getting my license from the lazy **** in City Hall......

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks folks,
I have been calling the City for info but can't get them to return my call. I was wondering if there are past Chicago exam papers available as study material?? Or is there a way of getting a copy??
I find the Chicago code book tough to navigate through. Is there a technique to using the book to speed up the process???

kursey

I studied on my own, just got really familiar how the Chicago Code Book is layed out. The book you bring in has to be completely unmarked.

IBEW 134 has a Code class which I took, but it wasn't a big help for this test. I'm not sure of other seminars.

If You go here: http://egov.cityofchicago.org/webportal/COCWebPortal/COC_EDITORIAL/ElecStudyGuide012009.pdf

They give you an overview of what the test covers. Granted, it's very vague.

Hope this helps.

The biggest problem I'm having is getting my license from the lazy **** in City Hall......

I took the test quite a few years back not too long after I topped out of the #134 apprenticeship program. I have never been good at taking tests and I was completely overwhelmed by this test. I also went to a seminar beforehand but I still was not prepared. I agree that the seminar did not help me. I would love to take the test again in May but I am not sure I will be ready in time. I have taken some time off to start a family so I am out of practice. I would love to take a code refresher class in anyone knows of one.

yucan2

I took the test quite a few years back not too long after I topped out of the #134 apprenticeship program. I have never been good at taking tests and I was completely overwhelmed by this test. I also went to a seminar beforehand but I still was not prepared. I agree that the seminar did not help me. I would love to take the test again in May but I am not sure I will be ready in time. I have taken some time off to start a family so I am out of practice. I would love to take a code refresher class in anyone knows of one.

Have Local 134 put you in touch with Harry Ohde. He was instrumental in getting me up to speed to pass the exam.

Just a hint:
There are 150 questions.
4 hours to take exam.
Not much math but some.
The key is knowing where things are located and how best to find it quickly.
Read thru the entire exam answering those questions you know.
Then go back to answer those that you really have to ponder.
At the last 30 minutes, and they'll give you a heads up, start picking the best answers for the ones you just can't seem to locate. Leave no questions unanswered.

esox39

The journeyman night classes at the apprentice school has a very good class to prepare for the test. I think the class is the Inspectors Code class. You have to take it in two parts. The best thing about this class is they teach you how to use the code book to find your answer quickly rather than spend alot of time discussing codes. I took these classes a couple of years ago, then decided to take the test and was amazed at how much this class helped me fly through the code book and I passed on the first try. Hope this helps.

Chicago Masters Exam

Chicago Masters Exam

I am currently working my way through Mike Holt's master electrican exam prep 2008 to help me prepare for the Chicago masters exam in May.

However Mike Holt's book goes hand in hand with the NEC and not the Chicago code. ( I'm seeing a lot of differences so far ).

My question to anyone who has taken the Chicago masters exam... As time is of the essence . What is the best way to study for the Chicago exam?
I found the NEC handbook easier than just reading the code book. Should I not be looking at the NEC books at all when it comes to the Chicago exam if the codes have their differences??
The first 12 chapters of Mike's book is mostly on calculations. Are there many calculation questions on the exam or mostly code questions??
Just trying to use the study time wisely!
Thanks

russ

Chicago code

Chicago code

The Chicago code book was some what modeled from the 1999 NEC.
There are many differences between the two, but laid out almost the same.
Studying the 2002, 05, 08. is great, but will only confuse you with the code organization in the Chicago code. There really has been no changes in the Chicago code since it was changed in 2000.
The Chicago book has it's own rules of enforcement and building inspections at the front of the book, there were questions on that those sections also.

Just a small hint, there will be 10 or 12 questions (they were at the beginning on my test) that have nothing to do with code. They, I believe were formulated from American Electricians Handbook skip those till last their time wasters.

Status
Not open for further replies.