AFCI Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

sauergirl

Can you run 3 wires and share the neutral and jumper from one AFCI breaker to another? Or do you have to run 2 wires for each circuit?

Thanks in advance!

480sparky

Unless you have a Siemens panel.

2-pole%20144x144.jpg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yes I agree with ken but I would not run a MWBC for an afci circuit. Trouble shooting later will be that much harder and when the breaker trips it will take out the other circuit also.

480sparky

Yes I agree with ken but I would not run a MWBC for an afci circuit. Trouble shooting later will be that much harder and when the breaker trips it will take out the other circuit also.

I wouldn't either, and just for that reason. It's a poor design for new installs. If I remember, though, there's a set of LEDs that tell you what tripped and why (which circuit, and whether it was an Arc Fault)

But, it can be a lifesaver in panel swaps full of MWBCs. :cool:

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
"afci"

"afci"

Treat "AFCI" like "GFI" ... All "AFCI" and "GFI" must have dedicated neutrals ... All neutrals must be identified in every junction box ... DO NOT CROSS NEUTRALS EVER !!!

Mountain Electric Company
Michael E. Olson
MountainElectricCompany.com

mcclary's electrical

Treat "AFCI" like "GFI" ... All "AFCI" and "GFI" must have dedicated neutrals ... All neutrals must be identified in every junction box ... DO NOT CROSS NEUTRALS EVER !!!

Mountain Electric Company
Michael E. Olson
MountainElectricCompany.com

Care to reference a code article?

Status
Not open for further replies.