Smoke Detectors mounted to a single gang box

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Early in this century the mounting plates for smokes did not match up with single gang boxes. This always bothered me until I noticed that recently the plates have the proper holes.

stew

carefull with the size of 3/0 boxes if you use them with fill requirements. Say you are in the middle of a run where you have you 14/3 running in and a 14/3 going to the left lets say to another area and a 1/3 going to the right in another area. std 3/0 boxes miss the count by at least one depending on the box. I know because i got tagged for it recently. couldnt argue just changed the friggin box when I saw the count insde was one to few for the 3 14/3s.

~Shado~

Well, as usual I am the different one. I always use a nail on or bar round box. Pretty standard around here.

You are not the only one Dennis...that is all I allow for smokes.
For some reason...a single gang box just does not sit well with me.

Perhaps I consider smokes a fixture of sorts, not a device....

220/221

For some reason...a single gang box just does not sit well with me.

Perhaps I consider smokes a fixture of sorts, not a device....

And.......you cant use a 1G box for anything other than a device?

The electrons don't care what shape the box is. :D

I've never used anything other than a 1G nail on box for smokies. It's standard practice here.

~Shado~

And.......you cant use a 1G box for anything other than a device?

Perhaps a junction box, or as a small parts bin for a little while, etc...oh yea, I have even used one for a cup to drink some water in a pinch...:D

The electrons don't care what shape the box is. :D

True...but I do..:cool:

I've never used anything other than a 1G nail on box for smokies. It's standard practice here.

Thats cool....but only round boxes allowed with me....:cool:

480sparky

And.......you cant use a 1G box for anything other than a device?..........

I use 'em for j-boxes when a basement is getting finished and there's a circuit dropped down from above for a recep in the basement.

I nail up a 1g and run the new wiring from there.

Here's one that a 14-2 was run down next to the stairs to a recep. I cut it short and put a 1g on the closet side (under the stairs).

DSC_6043.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.