Additional Sub Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

es1451

I have a 400 amp service that supplies a 200amp panel and a 100amp panel which are full.
Can I add another 100amp panel to accomodate two 60amp plenum heater kits. I need help!

es1451

kwired

Electron manager
you could possibly add 3 or 4 more 200 amp panels.

you need to do load calculations to determine how much load the 400 amp service has on it plus what you intend to add.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There is no limit to the number of sub-panels you can have. As kwired explained you only limited by the calculated load connected to the panel.

es1451

the 200 amp panel is main lug only can I supply another 100 or 200 amp panel from there? do I have to change the lugs to accomodate the new feed ?

wawireguy

Pretty sure on a standard 200 amp panel the largest breaker you can get is 125 amp. Can check the panel manufactures website or call your supply house.

Volta

I have a 400 amp service that supplies a 200amp panel and a 100amp panel which are full.
Can I add another 100amp panel to accomodate two 60amp plenum heater kits. I need help!

es1451

You can add the panel with no calculations. It is the proposed load that will cause you to need the calcs.

Similarly, it only takes the simplest calculation to see that you cannot serve 120 amps from a 100 amp panel.

Also be aware that something that looks like a 400 amp service, when viewing the OCP, might truly be only a 380 amp service if run with 500 kcm.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Highly possible my brain is not working this morning, but let's back up a bit and see if I am reading correctly.
Although the header is "sub panel" it sounds more like an added service panel.
OP says he has a 400 amp service feeding a 200 and 100 amp panel...not a 400 amp panel... goes on to say in post #4 that the 200 is MLO.
Depending on the number of breakers in the 200 (a) it may be a violation or (b) it may prevent adding the 3rd panel. I think we need more detail on the 200 amp panel.
Secondly, OP states (2) 60 amp heater circuits. If these are 9.6 kw heaters we seem to be fine, but if they are greater, the 100 amp would be inadequate.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

es1451

Can you go back to the 400 amp service panel and add another panel from there. I am having difficulties with this heat thing. If you have 2-60 amp heater kits then I believe you are going to push the capacity of any panel that is there. Sure you can add panel after panel, etc but the calculated load is more important than anything. You need to know what size load is n the panels.

Status
Not open for further replies.