Battery Lift

Status
Not open for further replies.

WastefulMiser

Two strings, four feet across from one another, on one-tier, two-step battery racks. Each jar weighs 165 lbs.

I am looking for practical field experience for removing/setting batteries.

What is most cost effective means? I want to try to get away without having to install a fixed gantry crane for lifting the batteries.

Can a wheeled battery lift maneuver in such close quarters? I doubt the legs can roll under the battery racks due to spill containment.

Any models would be helpful.

Last edited:

brian john

Two strings, four feet across from one another, on one-tier, two-step battery racks. Each jar weighs 165 lbs.

I am looking for practical field experience for removing/setting batteries.

What is most cost effective means? I want to try to get away without having to install a fixed gantry crane for lifting the batteries.

Can a wheeled battery lift maneuver in such close quarters? I doubt the legs can roll under the battery racks due to spill containment.

Any models would be helpful.

We use a lift from Graingers, hydraulic my rigger uses a duct lift, a battery lift and the same lift I use. I can get the part number on Sunday as I am working.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We've installed many large jars in the past. A lift like this is small and easily maneuvered into place:

14838_lg.gif

A few words of caution, the jars are heavy.:) You should have a containment system nearby in case of a spill or worse a breakage. I was on the receiving end of an acid splash when a co-worker tipped over a jar and it broke. Since I was wearing eye protection, gloves and a long bib only my lower pant legs and shoes got contaminated. After a few minutes my pants resembled Swiss cheese where the acid ate away at the fabric. The soles of my shoes were also eaten and eventually fell off. Don't think that an accident can't happen. I once thought that.

cadpoint

Is a "Jar" the trade name here, I thought it was callled a battery?

Is a battery a jar when used in respects to being in a bank of batteries?

WastefulMiser

Check these out our's is like the 7th item down only with a solid shelf.

We modify the shelf as necessary if there is a 3rd tier.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ww...ift&op=search&Ntt=battery+lift&N=0&sst=subset

Thank you for the reply.

How are you supposed to lift the batteries up without being able to get the lift's base legs underneath the rack? Especially for a two step rack. And at around 44" in length it will be difficult to square the lift in front of the rack with only 48" clearance.

Also many racks have a metal bar to prevent the jars from tipping over so you can't scoop them from underneath.

WastefulMiser

We've installed many large jars in the past. A lift like this is small and easily maneuvered into place:

14838_lg.gif

A few words of caution, the jars are heavy.:) You should have a containment system nearby in case of a spill or worse a breakage. I was on the receiving end of an acid splash when a co-worker tipped over a jar and it broke. Since I was wearing eye protection, gloves and a long bib only my lower pant legs and shoes got contaminated. After a few minutes my pants resembled Swiss cheese where the acid ate away at the fabric. The soles of my shoes were also eaten and eventually fell off. Don't think that an accident can't happen. I once thought that.

You use that to scoop underneath the battery? I don't think that will work in the battery racks I am referring to. And of course of all the photos I have I do not have one of the racks we use. :mad:

No kidding they get heavy. I just saw a quote for 650 lbs per jar.

WastefulMiser

I was hoping there would be a delightfully small wheeled-engine-lift-type battery lift where it telescopes out and you hook onto the the jar's slings to pick up.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thank you for the reply.

How are you supposed to lift the batteries up without being able to get the lift's base legs underneath the rack? Especially for a two step rack. And at around 44" in length it will be difficult to square the lift in front of the rack with only 48" clearance.

Also many racks have a metal bar to prevent the jars from tipping over so you can't scoop them from underneath.

Depending on the weight of the jars you may be able to load them on the end and slide them down into position next to each other. Typically the battery racks will have an insulating plastic cover over the metal rails and the jars will slide rather easily. If not you can always use some unscented talcum powder as a lubricant and wipe it off when your done. This procedure is rather simple since you can load the jars to the same point on the rack and continue the process until the entire row of jars are in place. In some installations, where the room is tight, this may be the only way to safely load the racks with jars. You can take a look at the procedure here, section 4.3:

http://www.cdstandbypower.com/product/battery/related/rs_1476.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.