Solid or Stranded Does it matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

knot stable

Grounding conductor to water piping system in a single family home. 200A service #4 ok. Does the code state any where that it has to be be stranded or will solid do also? Guess I'm just set in my ways. I've looked but I can't seem to locate anything to this. Maybe I'm just to tired to focus.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Either one. I would never run #4 solid copper because stranded is just easier to work with.

S'mise

NEC does not say. Your choice. Most prefer stranded for ease of installation, slightly higher ampcity (skin effect) and if mobility is needed (removing water meter, vibration etc.)

jwjrw

No larger than #6 to the water pipe?

For a 200 amp service we run #4 to waterpipe and rods. I know #6 is all that is required to rods and since we always use #4 I assumed #6 was ok for the GEC on a 200a service. I now see #4 is required.:D

masterinbama

For a 200 amp service we run #4 to waterpipe and rods. I know #6 is all that is required to rods and since we always use #4 I assumed #6 was ok for the GEC on a 200a service. I now see #4 is required.:D

I do the same to keep from having to stock #6 and #4. The cost difference is negligible on most jobs.

knot stable

Rob, I agree stranded is easier to run and I use it,but I had a roll of 4 solid so hey why not use it and make a few more bucks. It's just when you get used to using something and decide to change I always have the HMMM factor. (go to the book)

Thanks all for your time

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Rob, I agree stranded is easier to run and I use it,but I had a roll of 4 solid so hey why not use it and make a few more bucks. It's just when you get used to using something and decide to change I always have the HMMM factor. (go to the book)

Thanks all for your time

I agree, if it's free then use it. :grin:

Only problem is if you need to install it in a raceway as Volta mentioned.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Solid or stranded, paper or plastic?
But can't run 6 solid in a raceway, and its very hard to find compression splices for solid wire.
I always run stranded, 7 conductor.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
That and the fact that you have to protect #6 if subject to damage is why I only run #4.

You have to protect #4 and larger from physical damage too. The wording for protecting #4 from "severe physical damage" was changed a few cycles back to just "physical damage". But they are a bit pickier about how you run exposed #6 with specific instructions for closely following the surface.

jwjrw

You have to protect #4 and larger from physical damage too. The wording for protecting #4 from "severe physical damage" was changed a few cycles back to just "physical damage". But they are a bit pickier about how you run exposed #6 with specific instructions for closely following the surface.

Here its rare for them to require #4 to be protected but common for #6. Yea Im sure there are times even #4 needs protection but I havent had to do it yet on residential but I have for #6 so we just run #4.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.