Broadband off the main road

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Parrish

I have a house in a rual area of Indiana (Raccoon Lake ,Hwy 36). We are three miles off the main road. They have broadband on the main road.
All we have is dial up service. It's very old and very slow. No DSL available.
Their are other houses along the way that would probably subscribe.

How could I go about getting broad band to my house?
Could I hire a sub to do this?
Would they need to use 120 volt boosters along the way?

Any body else had any luck with this?

AV ELECTRIC

Ide assume your talking about the phone line as your broadband Att gave us a time frame when we would get broadband in my area and they were on time with that give them a call whoever your carrier would be and see when they might have that service up and running . try to get someone hire up on the pecking order. There is satellite they have free installation now

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Ide assume your talking about the phone line as your broadband Att gave us a time frame when we would get broadband in my area and they were on time with that give them a call whoever your carrier would be and see when they might have that service up and running . try to get someone hire up on the pecking order. There is satellite they have free installation now
unless satellite internet has come down in price considerably I would not go with it unless no ther option is available. They will lock you into contract and may limit the number of network devices. Be careful!

As far as broadband at the street, Unless the your phone wires are run to a CO within distance youcan get DSL.
If you are looking for Fiber once again unless they are running fiber in your area you out of luck. They won't bring fiber down a rural road unless it meets their cost assesment. THey need economy of scale.

as far as cable those guys will usually run the cable. There maybe issues about rights of way on attachment to utility poles or underground that they don't have yet.

Locate the closest person to you that has service. Work the broadband operator as to why you cannot have the service.
hope this helps

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have a house in a rual area of Indiana (Raccoon Lake ,Hwy 36). We are three miles off the main road. They have broadband on the main road.
All we have is dial up service. It's very old and very slow. No DSL available.
Their are other houses along the way that would probably subscribe.

How could I go about getting broad band to my house?
Could I hire a sub to do this?
Would they need to use 120 volt boosters along the way?

Any body else had any luck with this?

A lot of areas have wireless service available. It is often comparable in cost and speed to cable. Its usually the most cost effective solution, and usually the simplest.

There are other options such as ethernet radios. The same people who do wireless usually do stuff like this as well if you are outside of their coverage areas. More money and usually not the same speed.

dbuckley

if you have all the neigbours between you and the road on board and wanting broadband then you can literally rent a trncher and install fibre through your own premises, and strike a deal with the ISP who has a presence at the main road.

A bunch of farmers did this in NZ a couple of years back; the local telcos weren't interested in providing anything to the farmers, so they basically just did it.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i'd stay away from satellite. i don't know of any that limit the number of network devices, the latency is terrible. you'll never see true download speeds of what you subscribe to.

if nothing else, check with a cell phone carrier for wireless internet.

wildblue satellite is supposed to be offering 10-12Mb download speeds in about a year; even with the awful latency it might be more bearable.

mivey

Cell wireless is what I use when I'm traveling to remote areas. Today (in town), I get:
Wired phone company: 5700 kbps down and 433 kbps up
Cell Wireless: 1413 kbps down, 667 kbps up

Buck Parrish

Cell wireless is what I use when I'm traveling to remote areas. Today (in town), I get:
Wired phone company: 5700 kbps down and 433 kbps up
Cell Wireless: 1413 kbps down, 667 kbps up

I've got verizon wireless... It's not to bad on this site. But if a page has lots of pictures or ads like some forums. Then it is slow.

This area just barely has cell service.
I use to know guys that we're sub contractors for the cable co.
But that's in NC. I wish they we're here.

I think overhead is going to be a better option.
It's a rocky area and at the edge of the lake.

I am wondering how far they go before they have to boost the signal.

Last edited:

techntrek

Buck, next time you upgrade make sure your phone has an antenna jack and then get an external antenna. I've used this company several times: http://www.criterioncellular.com/index.html

Or, look into a local reapeater system. Cost would be about $400. I only use cellular for Internet connection - no DSL or cable possible where I live.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
But that's in NC. I wish they we're here... I think overhead is going to be a better option... I am wondering how far they go before they have to boost the signal.

I've been watching this thread and laughing. What makes you think they would:

1) Allow you to run your own cable or fiber (and you don't even know what).

2) Assuming that you did, what makes you think the company would connect to it?

I sympathize with your problem, but it is one faced by many people in rural areas. Other than getting local support and trying to get the cable or phone company to extend their OSP you are stuck with the options you have already explored.

-Hal

mivey

But that's in NC. I wish they we're here... I think overhead is going to be a better option... I am wondering how far they go before they have to boost the signal.

I've been watching this thread and laughing. What makes you think they would:

1) Allow you to run your own cable or fiber (and you don't even know what).

2) Assuming that you did, what makes you think the company would connect to it?

I sympathize with your problem, but it is one faced by many people in rural areas. Other than getting local support and trying to get the cable or phone company to extend their OSP you are stuck with the options you have already explored.

-Hal
See post #7

Status
Not open for further replies.