Cutting pvc pipe without removing wires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinniem

I have to do a job where a roofer damaged a service head made of pvc and now it has to be replaced. Without pulling out the wires, is there an easier way to cut the pipe? Thanks for any suggestions.

480sparky

Head down to the Big Orange or Big Blue store and go to the plumbing section. They have wire saws made for cutting PVC.

pvcwiresaw.jpg

Two cautions about them.

1. They will not be nice and straight once you use it. It will curl up like crazy.
2. It will get hot when you use it, so let it cool down before you grab the wire.

Try using a tubing cutter like plumbers use. Don't need much pressure and they come in all sizes. Slip something between the conduit and wire for safety if possible. Otherwise slow is the way to go

satcom

We watched a guy using the string wire to remove a service head with live conductors, the fire department got the fire out pretty fast, but it took some time for the medics to move the guy after he fell off the ladder, trying to save time may take more time and money.

We watched a guy using the string wire to remove a service head with live conductors, the fire department got the fire out pretty fast, but it took some time for the medics to move the guy after he fell off the ladder, trying to save time may take more time and money.

Definately not a situation you want to be in. Get an off/on permit. The only way to go here.

220/221

Don't you have to remove/disconnect the wires to replace the service head?

There are several methods to use if you need to cut occupied PVC. The method depends on the circumstances.

Tubing cutter is clean but you need to have room to work and big enough cutters.

Ringing with PVC cutters is a little more dangerous and, again, you have to have room to work and big enough cutters.

If one end is open you can slip EMT over the conductors and cut/ring with a sawsall.

You can also of course just use a saw blade and some finesse.

mcclary's electrical

Ratcheting PVC cutters,,,,set to depth correctly. Ratchet in just barely shy of penetrating pipe. Ring it around pipe several times. Then bend pvc back and forth a few times and it will break off clean.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Seems like most of the time I ring 'em and snap 'em with a Sawzall. Patience is key.

I do this all the time. Use ratcheting cutters. You don't have to cut all the way through; just get it close and it will break easily on the cut line. Use a knife to ream the edges.

e57

Any nylon string and a little friction will do it - however, it will also cut insulation if not carefully done. These are SERVICE conductors? Live SERVICE conductors - it would be best not to cut it with any metal cutting method since you might value your life? Since you're not removing the wire for whatever reason, and cutting the conduit - how are you then completing the conduit system after that? Gluing in a head fitting? Maybe take a look at 300.18(A)... While it is a minor code violation to install conductors in incomplete raceways - cutting into energized service conduits and inadvertently the conductors is a recipe for disaster. A little labor pulling and repulling the conductors IMO is the best way...

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Isn't there something in the NEC about having to have a complete raceway system before conductors are pulled into it?

I believe the intent of the code is to prevent damage to the wiring.

(end disclaimer)

I have had to cut PVC with conductors in it and the best thing is to be able to take your time. Having someone bird dogging you will almost insure failure.

The flexible saws are the best suggestions. I have used nearly every kind. The trick is to not cut all the way through. Just score all the way around, leaving a few thousandths of an inch of plastic un-cut. Then, carefully break the pipe by bending, tapping or prying, depending on how it is secured. You may have to smooth the cut end with sandpaper.

But the above is a MOOT POINT!!

The roofer should have to pay for the damage and the repair should be done properly. You should not have to figure out a cheap (read unsafe / illegal) way to fix the damage. The repair should be made properly and safely and the roofer should get the bill.

hardworkingstiff

I have to do a job where a roofer damaged a service head made of pvc and now it has to be replaced. Without pulling out the wires, is there an easier way to cut the pipe? Thanks for any suggestions.

I'm curious as to where you are cutting? Are you cutting just below the service head to glue on a new one? If so, can you break the head off in pieces? If you can, then you could hold a metal guard inside the pipe while you cut with PVC cutter by just starting to break through the PVC with the blade and roating it around the pipe (along with the metal protector inside the PVC).

I also think if you try, you might be able to break the old glued section off the PVC in pieces.

I also assume you WILL perform this with the service conductors disconnected!

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
My ratcheting cutters only go to 1.25"

you can get them up to two inches that i know of. . .

and when i said i do it all the time, i didn't mean on service masts.

i do it on pools mostly; they usually have the pool light cords or fiber optic cables fished through the conduit when i get there.

quogueelectric

This is one of my favorite tricks ............. Just use mason line to cut through the pvc. Get a couple of sticks and wrap about 2 feet between the sticks Any color will do. Pull back and forth untill it gets started and begins to cut. The mason line will not damage the conductors in the pipe unless you really try. Practice on a piece of 3/4 once or twice until you get the hang of it. Bad idea for 4 inch then you want togo to wire at this size it will cut it but you will struggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.