Somebody used my permit to wire a building

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnelectrical

Of course I was the one that stamped it, It was like always a rush thing, well the owner was a friend of friend, so I just started the process but he never liked my price and I walked away thinking the next EC would do a change of contractor but it never happened . Now 6 months later by mistake B D call me saying we have an inspection on that day, I said what? explained to insp. that we never started that job. I went to BD and of course there was no Chang of contractor at all. Now Owner said they submitted a Change of contractor long time ago. I know thats BS. What would yoiu guys do? I know that laws are different in some states. But here in NJ you just can't do that. Thank you for your responses.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Locally, an inspection would not be completed until the contractor who held the permit requested one. An owner or electrician might sneak one in on occasion. I would document the situation to the BD so they can assure no inspections will be completed and hopefully that would also mean no power and no Certificate of Occupancy.

satcom

Of course I was the one that stamped it, It was like always a rush thing, well the owner was a friend of friend, so I just started the process but he never liked my price and I walked away thinking the next EC would do a change of contractor but it never happened . Now 6 months later by mistake B D call me saying we have an inspection on that day, I said what? explained to insp. that we never started that job. I went to BD and of course there was no Chang of contractor at all. Now Owner said they submitted a Change of contractor long time ago. I know thats BS. What would yoiu guys do? I know that laws are different in some states. But here in NJ you just can't do that. Thank you for your responses.

Some friend! I would send a certified letter to the AHJ and in writing, document what took place, and request you be removed from the exixting permit.

RICK NAPIER

Comming from the same state this is how I recommend handling it. Send a letter stating that you were never the contractor of record for that permit. The building department should then stop work on the project until a change of contractor is issued. Until then no electrical inspections, no electrical work, no occupying or using equipment covered by the permit subject to fines.

mtnelectrical

what 20%? I have not received anything, And I already spent a few hours on this problem, somebody will have to give some mula for all this nonsense. Now I found out that the place was wire by a unlicensed electrician, and he failed 2 rough inspections, no wonder. This is a 6 apartment building, they are done with 2 apartments so far.

Occupation
Inspector
I have, in the past, pulled permits and then backed out of the job. My take on this is that I should be the one to make sure that I'm released from the permit. I called and explained my situation and my permit was canceled. It did, however, cost me the price of the permit.

I would never leave something this important to someone else.

Just my .02

satcom

I have, in the past, pulled permits and then backed out of the job. My take on this is that I should be the one to make sure that I'm released from the permit. I called and explained my situation and my permit was canceled. It did, however, cost me the price of the permit.

I would never leave something this important to someone else.

Just my .02

Wow, you said it all, your license takes many years of hard work along with years in the classroom, working for starting wages. the seal you get in Jersey, to operate your business carries your name, and makes you responsible for any work done with a sealed document, like electrical permits, so when someone dies in a building you wired, they know where to find the contractor that may face criminal charges.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
I would get that permit closed asap, and tell my "friend" to demand his contractor be at the inspection/governing body and pull what ever is needed; or you will be forced to contact your Lawyer and start a job review so you can be ready for the inspection. Did I mention the price is the full price I quoted to do the job? "Friend"?

dduffee260

Now I found out that the place was wire by a unlicensed electrician, and he failed 2 rough inspections, no wonder.

So the GC is saying they changed contractors but they failed 2 rough in inspections? Who's license did they call the inspections under? That should tell you right there. If they had changed the license and permit then they would not have failed under your license. Sounds like the GC tried to sneak one by you here to me. I say make him pay or they can do it again.

One-eyed Jack

Locally, an inspection would not be completed until the contractor who held the permit requested one. An owner or electrician might sneak one in on occasion. I would document the situation to the BD so they can assure no inspections will be completed and hopefully that would also mean no power and no Certificate of Occupancy.

WE do the same here for that very reason.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
A former boss got a call from Insp office in a nearby city where we worked some. Clerk had some routine question about the permit, etc. Boss didn't remember pulling it. Checked a little further and found that a GC we had done some work for had pulled it. Called him and he said "been meaning to call you for this, etc." We got to job and found some boxes already up, etc. He'd intended to do it himself and have us on record. We'd already had issues with him having his people move our boxes, add something, etc. He fancied himself an electrician and we knew he did a lot of electrical behind the scenes. We dealt with it for a time, as we needed his business badly. Boss asked that Insp office not to issue permits to any GC in his name. We also had issues with this GC burying boxes and can lights and damaging boxes with rototools, etc. And his guys would leave 1/2" gaps around boxes w/out patching, etc. He was supposedly a high end GC, he charged for it; but he was mostly a high priced jackleg.

growler

So you did permit the job? Here the county/city would not issue a second permit to a different contractor until the the first permit had been closed out. By closed out, if you didn't get the job or walked off the job they would need a letter of intent showing that you were no longer working on the project before they would issue a permit to a second contractor for the same work.

This may be your own fault because every permit that is open needs to be closed out in some way, either a final (passed) or a cancellation. The other contractor is breaking the rules by starting to work without a permit for his work ( he should know this ).

In your state it may be as simple as the permit office just screwed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.