Ceiling Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

firelient

Is there a requirement to how low you can hang a ceiling fan. It is in a bonus room with 6' 9" ceiling and they really want them. I think too low! just looking for something in writing to tell them. Thanks

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
It would not be in the NEC. But for my part, I would not do it. I don't think you can get one that does not take up a least 9 inches. Even if the owners are short enough to walk under the rotating fan blades, if a guest of theirs walks into it, you would be dragged into court.

ceb58

Is there a requirement to how low you can hang a ceiling fan. It is in a bonus room with 6' 9" ceiling and they really want them. I think too low! just looking for something in writing to tell them. Thanks

Look at the mfg. instruction. They may have a minimum height requirement.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
305.1 Minimum height.

Habitable rooms, hallways, corridors, bathrooms, toilet rooms, laundry rooms and basements shall have a ceiling height of not less than 7 feet (2134 mm). The required height shall be measured from the finish floor to the lowest projection from the ceiling.

This may or may not work.

I mean if the box is covered at inspection it would pass. What the owner does after that is outside of an inspection.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
IRC based:

5. Existing Basements. Habitable spaces created in existing basements shall be permitted to have ceiling heights of not less than 6 feet 8 inches (2036 mm). Obstructions may project to within 6 feet 4 inches (1931 mm) of the basement floor.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
If it is an existing structure then it isn't a violation. Yes???:)

Sorry, but I'm not well versed enough on the building code to know when that came into being, so you could be right, but "existing nonconforming" has never been an official mulligan.:)

JXO has something there, but we haven't adopted the IRC yet.

eprice

JXO has something there, but we haven't adopted the IRC yet.

I'm pretty confident there is a section in California's version of the IBC that will be similar. Actual numbers may be a little different, but the building code will specify minimum ceiling heights. It might be in Chapter 10 near Section 1003. That is where the unamended IBC talks about ceiling height and protruding objects within the means of egress (paths where people walk to get out of the building)

Status
Not open for further replies.