Garage collapsed

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
And I was questioned last month about my refusal to bring an 18,000 lb industrial crane into one of these types of garages.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I bet the guy in the skid steer had the wind knocked out of him! I can't believe he fell through 2 stories and landed at the bottom....

stars13bars2

You see in the third picture where it breaks at the conduit penetration. The electrical contractor will get blamed for this.

Jim W in Tampa

Wonder where he works now !!!!!!!!!!!!!
last words were "bet they fire me" with a few choice words before that.
Only worked on a few and did have doughts about strength. You can feel them move when heavy cars go on them. Would take a lot of over weight to do all of that. Have seen them getting welding inspections and not likely they miss any. That would be fun to watch them fix it.

Jim W in Tampa

The 3rd picture has my attension. Looks like that half of double T came off support. That says engineering flaw to me. The weight issue was not equipment. Snow compacted would be almost as heavy as water. Push too much in the middle of span and there is a problem. They are designed for cars not snow. Curious how many cars traped in that mess ? Any rough numbers as to cost to fix. Of all the jobs we wired i do think the garages were the most fun. You get good at pipe fast on them.

e57

I am sure the snow and the skid steer driver will take the blame, but that sure looks like a design failure to me.
I agree - snow will happen, and the failure of the building management and designers to take that into account is the issue. I doubt the skid steer guy was the one to decide where to put snow - just to do it... Since I doubt this is the only time it ever happened IMO some one lacked the forethought of snow removal in the design - like a heated top deck to melt snow and ice. I bet they are thinking of it now.

e57

You see in the third picture where it breaks at the conduit penetration. The electrical contractor will get blamed for this.
You may be right -failure is near two strings of penetrations - I'll bet someone is looking to pass the buck on it, since the load capacity is reduced by those penetrations being so high - but it is debatable. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.