new residential service

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwnut

Hello and thanks for anyones input
I am installing a service for a new home and accessory building Service to cover both and geothermal heat in house. Underground service from poco they will run 700 ft to a pad set transformer direct bury. there price to me for this was $4865.00 or I can trench and bury conduit wilh pull rope for $1100.00 less. this is with a $5000.00 credit.Seams high to me? 10 grand for 700 ft and transformer? what do you guys think?:confused:

bmwnut

[For one the OP is an electrical contractor.Correct!

To the OP-- are you asking us whether the POCO pricing is too high?Correct

This is the power co price to provide there side of the service
They will set a pole then run their high voltage wire direct bury 700 ft to their transformer $9800.00
The transformer was sized to my service load i providied
single phase 240volt 200amp service. I will do all work on the load side of the transformer.

Last edited:

Buck Parrish

I am installing a service for a new home and accessory building Service to cover both and geothermal heat in house. Underground service from poco they will run 700 ft to a pad set transformer direct bury. there price to me for this was $4865.00 or I can trench and bury conduit wilh pull rope for $1100.00 less. this is with a $5000.00 credit.Seams high to me? 10 grand for 700 ft and transformer? what do you guys think?:confused:

Yes, thats high

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I always think the poco prices are high but we have no control over that. Around here I'm not even sure we have the option to do the work or some of the work. In general, whatever they charge is passed on to the customer.

aline

Of course it seems high to electricians.
We're used to low balling each other and working for nothing. :)
We would do this job for much less.

satcom

Of course it seems high to electricians.
We're used to low balling each other and working for nothing. :)
We would do this job for much less.

So true the POCO pays decent wages and benifits, they have well trainned employees and service trucks without rust and dents, and they have the crazy idea that they need to make a profit to stay in business.

cdslotz

Around here I exclude such costs from poco and the owner pays for it.
If they made me pay for it it would be a "below the line" adder with my markup on it.
Are you marking up the poco charge? Why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.