Damp location above a porch ceiling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbione

An inspector is telling me that the area above a rear porch ceiling (under the roof of the house) is a damp location and that the recessed cans installed in this ceiling need to be fed with UF rather than NM.
His explaination is that the definition of damp location includes open porches.
Certainly the area below the ceiling is damp, but I disagree that area aobe the ceiling is damp. He also said that he will require UF wire for all soffit lighting, outlets etc.

BTW - another 2 other local inspectors I've talked to agree with me, but I can't get this guy to budge.

Help!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Boy, Is he barking up the wrong tree-- tell him to try a dogwood tree.:) Think of how damp crawl spaces have been with all that NM running thru it. Today, at least in the houses I work on, the crawls are bone dry.

If the space above a porch is damp location then the entire attic would be classified that way. Sure there is humid air there but I would not call that a damp location.

AV ELECTRIC

If that's the case and its a damp location everything installed in that area must be rated for that , cans, boxes ect. I think hes looking at it the wrong way the roof covering the open porch is an extension of the of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.