Generator clearances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
I will be installing a residential backup generator. The generator specifications state the generator must be installed certain distances from window openings. What codes govern the placement of generators? Do AHJ have specific requirements for generator placement?

yucan2

Without getting into the specifics I found what works best, especially in suburbia, is to submit the specs and manufacturer's "suggested placement info." along with the permit application.

I've yet to have a problem except with the 30ft. whip that comes with some of the Generac products.

Most jurisdictions will call you on it if its exposed. I'm near Chicago.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It came up with a Generac I installed. The customer wanted it close to the side of the house, behind a bush, to minimize street visibility. The manual says to comply with local requirements, and the inspector says to comply with the manual.

So, the unit having no rear louvers, and nearby windows not being an issue, the customer got her wish. I ended up with the unit about 6" from the brick foundation, leaving just enough working room for an elbow connection in the gas line inlet.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've yet to have a problem except with the 30ft. whip that comes with some of the Generac products.
If I have to lengthen the whip, I usually shorten it and use the box it comes with as the connection from the genny to the house, and run my new wiring from there to the panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.