Always Ask, Assume Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I'm sure others fall in this trap too; I forget and have to get refresher courses. Nothing can be taken for granted any more. Customer called the other day for me to install a water heater ckt. I'd worked for her before and assured her a 100 A subpanel was more than adequate for WH. I made sure I had my 10-2 and 30 A DP breaker. Got there and she had a monstrosity of a tankless WH. Used 3 40A DP ckts. I'd done a few before that used 40, 60 or 80 A ckts. She'd never mentioned tankless before and had indicated that any new stuff was just for the basement area. WH was for whole house. I fed it from main panel, close by, and moved some ckts around for it. Normal load was 60 A total, full load was 112. Of course, I had to go out for more stuff too.

I now plan 8-3 and 40A breaker for any drop in or double oven too. 30 A use to be fine for nearly all of those, but now more of them specify 40 A. I ran a 30A ckt recently where oven was not yet bought. Sure enough, it got there and needed 40A. Might have done ok, but I replaced at my expense. Didn't want nuisance tripping or hazards if cable/breaker overheated with heavy use. A former boss had same situation and left on 30A, inspector didn't refuse it. I now start with assuming 40A and also try my best to find out what specific appliance they are getting. Never know when something will be different. There are probably some 50 or 60's out there somewhere.

Also, both these appliances were made by Bosch. High quality, but every Bosch item I've seen made me hunt and peck all over to find nameplate info. Wtr htr had specific guidelines in the owner's manual but almost nothing on the eqpmt itself. Eqpmt also did not have model # that I could find, had to look on box. Manual referred to #on box. Do this for model x, that for model y, etc. Oven had tiny sticker about 3/4 inch long, size of single line correction tape. Could barely read even with bifocals.

I will redouble my efforts to inquire ahead and keep any Bosch container until work is done.

One-eyed Jack

Try breaking up cement, running conduit, setting disco etc for a 50hp motor by mfg. spec. Cement is set eveything ready to go 2 months down the road equipment arrives; 100 hp motor!!!!!

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Try breaking up cement, running conduit, setting disco etc for a 50hp motor by mfg. spec. Cement is set eveything ready to go 2 months down the road equipment arrives; 100 hp motor!!!!!
I sure hope you got paid for that rework. How did it come out? Was it customer, vendor error, etc? Seems like whoever gave wrong info should pay for the extra work. I always try not to hit a customer for more, if he wasn't guilty party.

It's not just our business. The world is much more complicated than it use to be. I sat at a customer service desk for 11 years and you could make movies with what some people would call in with.

One-eyed Jack

At least you get paid to do it twice (right???)
No we did not break it up again. No double pay. Was able to make it work by relocating starters. Vendor did not provide adequate info. They were being cute trying to work around max hp allowed to be started across the line. The motor was labeled SP50. 100hp frame and 100 hp fla.

Last edited:

macmikeman

I insist on all appliance cut sheets from gc's before I rough in wire for a job. Training these gracious and kind fellows to comply with my requests is more difficult to do than any other single task I encounter when doing that sort of electrical work.

John Davoltra

Yep. I love the blank looks I get when asking a housewife, homeowner, or builder specifics regarding the install. Many I think have never been asked before. They Almost seem to be wondering why we would need that kind of info!

There must be a lot of electricians out there that just don't care anymore?

Discussing the economy the other day with a client, she thought I meant I might be going out of business. (just expressed to her I would know in a month or so what this year brings) She said "Oh no. Please don't quit. The last electrician gave us a bill FOUR times the bid amount after he finished."

Seems there are a lot of electricians out there that Don't stand behind their word.

It's the 10% of customers that appreciate that keeps you going. (And the money)

Status
Not open for further replies.