Is this connector good for equipment ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremysterling

I found this the other day. Is the metal clasp of the connector considered an equipment grounding conductor?

The paper tag is from a similar "relock", but different color and pin configuration.

The UL number on the tag says "897e". Does that mean anything?

I thought I saw the cable with the paper tag using the connector attaching clasp as the equipment ground.

Thanks in advance for any help.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In that case, only the documentation will tell you. Are there EGC terminals that obviously connect to the clasps?

jeremysterling

In that case, only the documentation will tell you. Are there EGC terminals that obviously connect to the clasps?

There was a 277V whip that had a bare solid copper #12 bent back under the tapered setscrew sleeve.

The whip pictured feeds an isolated ground recept. There is no bare copper in the IG whip, only the green IG conductor.

jeremysterling

If there's no EGC terminals, maybe they're meant for AC or the new combo MC's.

I was hoping it was AC, and it looks like AC, but the paper tag says MC.

There is a fourth unused port in this connector that I'm guessing is supposed to have a crimped pin for the IG. I doubt this was a factory error, because other similar cables supplying IG recepts do not have both grounds , either. This means that the IG recepts have NO grounding conductor, isolated or regular!

I believe this is a design flaw for this install.

Status
Not open for further replies.