Commercial receptacle spacing and the use of romex and nm boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

relochris

Hey there,
Just got my first commercial job. I'm a full time residential electrician so I'm not %100 on commercial code. the building is 2 stories with 2 offices upstairs and a meeting place downstairs. The occupancy is under 100 and the engineer has cleared me to use romex since the framing is all wood. However, the drawings submitted by the engineer have very few receptacles compared to residential installations. I've read 210 backwards and forwards and can't find spacing requirements for commercial installations. Does the 6-12 rule still apply? Do the engineer drawings supercede the code? Should I be wiring the receptacles to the same specs as residential or am I overdoing things?? Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Also am I wrong in thinking I can use NM boxes?? Should I be boxing out in steel? Thanks
I look forward to the dialogue.

raider1

Staff member
There are no spacing requirements for receptacles in a non-dwelling application. You just follow the engineers design. The engineers design should show how all the receptacles should be circuited.

As far as using NM boxes that is fine in a type III, IV or V building.

Make sure that if there are any suspended acoustical grid ceilings that you don't run any NM cable above the ceiling.

Chris

Last edited:

beanland

Commercial Receptacles

Commercial Receptacles

That sounds backwards to me. I find that commercial offices generally want a duplex receptacle every 4-6 feet on a wall, at least one on every wall, and generally fewer receptacles per circuit. When I design a 10' x 10' room in an office complex there are two duplex per wall and one 20A circuit for the room.

AV ELECTRIC

Install what the engineer gives you and make the customer aware of anything extra will require a change order and as the other post said no romex in suspended ceilings.

relochris

There are no spacing requirements for receptacles in a non-dwelling application. You just follow the engineers design. The engineers design should show how all the receptacles should be circuited.

As far as using NM boxes that is fine in a type III, IV or V building.

Make sure that if there are any suspended acoustical grid ceilings that you don't run any NM cable above the ceiling.

Chris
Thanks Raider. I was thinking there may be a "per sq ft" minimum, but based on some places I've seen, that sounds right. All ceilings are sheetrocked with scissor joists so I don't think I'll have a problem with that. I'm going ahead with fingers crossed

relochris

That sounds backwards to me. I find that commercial offices generally want a duplex receptacle every 4-6 feet on a wall, at least one on every wall, and generally fewer receptacles per circuit. When I design a 10' x 10' room in an office complex there are two duplex per wall and one 20A circuit for the room.
I hear you beanland. If it were my building with all the expense, I'd get all the outlets I needed up front. However, for their purposes it seems to be sufficient.

Cavie

And just what is goning to get pluged in in a 10 x 10 room that will need 20 amps to it'self. Look at your desk. What it the total load?? Add the lights and you still don't have 10 amps. Did you know the average 200 amp service on a 1800 sq ft house draws less than 100 amps at any given time.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The 1st question.... are the employees allowed to have heaters at their desk ?
Over the years I have found this to be the "killer" with many office circuits.

Assuming the architectural layout is there, then this sounds ok.

But if you're just providing power to an open space awaiting fit out, then where would you expect to put the outlets?

There's also the consideration of system furniture and underfloor conduits.

Status
Not open for further replies.