Notification Appliance Distance From Exit

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLBryant

Does any one know if there is a NFPA 72 requirement for how far a notification appliance must be from an exit?

I've read thru chapter 7 and the associate appendix and did find any such requirement.

Perhaps it was a local AHJ requirement (Charlotte, NC) to place notification appliances within 15 feet of an exit with a pull station.

I am used to designing systems this way, but was wondering if this was an NFPA 72 requirement.

nhfire77

Does any one know if there is a NFPA 72 requirement for how far a notification appliance must be from an exit?

I've read thru chapter 7 and the associate appendix and did find any such requirement.

Perhaps it was a local AHJ requirement (Charlotte, NC) to place notification appliances within 15 feet of an exit with a pull station.

I am used to designing systems this way, but was wondering if this was an NFPA 72 requirement.

There is NO such requirement in 72, or anywhere else that I am aware of, unless a local amendment.

ron

If the exit happens to be at the end of a corridor .... then

NFPA 72
?

National Fire Alarm Code?

2007 Edition
7.5.4.4.5*

Visible notification appliances shall be located not more than 4.57 m (15 ft) from the end of the corridor with a separation not greater than 30.4 m (100 ft) between appliances.

As others have said, not an NFPA 72 requirement...and I think we all looked nice and hard to make sure....damn AHJs! :D

In many jurisdictions, there's a written code or at least an understanding to place a horn/speaker-strobe by the egresses along with the manual pull station.

With regards to corridor spacing, 100 ft spacing is allowed in corridors (defined as 20 feet or less in width), with 15 foot from the end of hallways.

The annex of NFPA-72 talks about overriding the 15 foot rule if you choose the appropriate candela rating for the strobe as if you were using the room design method.

For instance a 10' x 45' corridor would normally require two strobes, placed 15' from each end of the corridor. However one strobe placed at the midpoint @ 75 candela (don't have my book with me to confirm this #) will suffice. After all, if it would suffice in a 45' x 45' ROOM, why shouldn't it in a corridor?

The long spacing in corridors is based on the principle that occupants are moving and more alert than typical open spaces. Recall that this spacing requirement is based on *15 cd* strobes, not 30 or 75.

One thing to note is that the Annex is often NOT an enforceable part of the code. So confirm with the AHJ or local building code if you can use the NFPA annex.

Status
Not open for further replies.