single phase motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hilltop

I had a question thrown at me today concerning a 120V 1 1/2 HP singlephase motor running at 20 amps.

The nuetral at the contactor for the motor is red hot...what would cause this???

The amp reading when the motor is running under load is 20A

One-eyed Jack

I had a question thrown at me today concerning a 120V 1 1/2 HP singlephase motor running at 20 amps.

The nuetral at the contactor for the motor is red hot...what would cause this???

The amp reading when the motor is running under load is 20A

Contactor not rated for 20 amps. Contact points burnt. Loose connection at terminal.

hilltop

I was told they pulled new # 10 THHN to new motor [ ona 30A breaker had #14 originally, not sure who planned that out???]...thinking voltage drop and/or faulty motor...hooked everything back up and same issue...nuetral is cherry red at contactor.

I asked if they checked nuetral to ground voltage at panel source..no one looked at that yet. The nuetral carries the unbalance of the line so why would the nuetral heat to this extent????? Assuming that there are no loose connections.

raider1

Staff member
I was told they pulled new # 10 THHN to new motor [ ona 30A breaker had #14 originally, not sure who planned that out???]

#14 AWG wire and a 30 amp breaker providing short circuit and ground fault protection is most likely just fine in this circumstance. For motors 240.4(D) does not apply.

The nuetral carries the unbalance of the line so why would the nuetral heat to this extent????? Assuming that there are no loose connections.

In a 120 volt motor situation as you have described the neutral conductor will carry the same load as the ungrounded "hot" conductor.

Chris

Last edited:

hilltop

I stand corrected, thank you.

soo...either the windings are bad on the second motor or we should check loose connections??
So why then only overheating on the nuetral?

raider1

Staff member
I stand corrected, thank you.

soo...either the windings are bad on the second motor or we should check loose connections??
So why then only overheating on the nuetral?

Your welcome.

I would first check for loose connections in the motor and any juction points between the motor and the contactor.

Chris

Cold Fusion

...The nuetral at the contactor for the motor is red hot...what would cause this??? ...

...I would first check for loose connections in the motor and any juction points between the motor and the contactor. ...
Why would any loose connections anywhere other than at the contactor affect this? OR how would a loose connection in the motor affect the conductor temP at the contactor?

cf

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Once the connections at the contactor became 'red hot" the contactor was most liekly ruined, so it must be replaced.

Is the contactor 20A resistive rated or 20A motor load rated?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Assuming that there are no loose connections.
I wouldn't assume that. You could try substitution, such as swapping poles, so the one that switches the neutral will switch the hot.

Or, since the line giving you trouble is the grounded conductor, just connect the line and load wires together, bypassing the contactor.

hilltop

I will ask about the contactor rating..I am not sure.
Are you saying bypass the contactor to see if it makes a diference? Not sure why the contactor would be the source..........

One-eyed Jack

I will ask about the contactor rating..I am not sure.
Are you saying bypass the contactor to see if it makes a diference? Not sure why the contactor would be the source..........

If the red hot heat is at the contactor this is the most likely source of the problem. ie where there is smoke there is usually fire.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The red-hot wire is a symptom, and you need to find the cause. Mother nature has a way of finding the weakest link. By design, that's a fuse or breaker. If it was simple overload, the heat would be spread out among the equally-weak links. If the wire was too small, it would all be warm. You have a hot spot.

You need to find what's making the wire so hot at one point. Maybe a loose screw or termination, a worn contact, or something else at that one terminal. It's only happening at one of four supposedly-identical terminals, and didn't happen when it was new. Something has changed at that one termination.

hilltop

I inquired about the contactor...initially happening at line side of contactor...new contactor installed...now appears to be on load side of contactor...

mxslick

Several points come to mind:

One, why are they even bothering to switch the neutral? Totally unnecessary in any event. Perhaps the equipment was originally designed for 240 volts?

Two, simply replacing the contactor isn't gonna cut it. ANYTIME a wire is overheated, it will oxidize and become high resistance. The heat has ruined BOTH of the wires attached to that side of the contactor.

Only way to repair this is to:

First, quit switching the neutral, totally unnecessary. Splice it after cutting back or repull it.
Second, replace ALL of the wire connecting to the contactor, including the neutral and hot. (If space permits, cut the wire back at LEAST 8 inches and splice on new wire, otherwise repull it.)
And finally, replace the contactor again, no matter how the existing one looks.

Anything less and you'll keep having problems.

This is a common event on my cinema lamp rectifiers and the fix above is the only sure cure.

If the current measured on the hot and neutral are the same, quit trying to over-think the problem, because there isn't a problem. :grin:
Edited to add: If the neutral current is higher than that on the hot leg, then throughly check for another load bootlegged onto that neutral.

Last edited:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I agree with Mxslick. That's just weird to switch a neutral plus it's one more splice in the run. Unless it's a fuel pump, that's the only time I switch 'em.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Dual-voltage motors such as these often switch both conductors in case the higher voltage is used.

Which brings me to: Can this unit be switched to 240v? Doing so would halve the current.

kwired

Electron manager
Dual-voltage motors such as these often switch both conductors in case the higher voltage is used.

Which brings me to: Can this unit be switched to 240v? Doing so would halve the current.

and help balance the load (on single phase supply) voltage drop is also less.

Status
Not open for further replies.