Guest Suite Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwirehouses

This is a very small garage that someones turning into 1 room apartment with a small bathroom. Its maybe 15' x 10'. It has cooking provisions, but thats about it. Can I bring it a 60 amp sub panel? I could bring it 100, but I plan on doing the entire run (through the houses basement, through the ground, into and up through the roof rafters to the opposite side of the guest suite) in pvc conduit. So the smaller the conduit I can use, the easier, as far as drilling top plates, etc. I don't see any codes in the nec about guest suite services, so I imagine as long as the load calculations come out right, there is really no guidelines on a service for a guest suite. Am i correct?

like someone said, this is a DWELLING not just a guest suite. How do you plan to have this metered?? Also if the main panel is just from the original house where that panel is the 'service', and if the owner doesn't pay their bill its gonna kill power to that unit if I understand you correctly.

Dont forget 225.35 Access to occupants. and 225.36. I believe this is a 1 (ONE) family dwelling and 225.39 (C) shall apply, which makes it a 100 amp disconnect.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The disconnect at the detached structure would need to be rated for at least 100 amps but the feeder could be smaller as long as it is protected at the source end.

iwirehouses

The guy just wants an apartment to rent to college students. Do you think I need a meter by code?

This place is so small, one circuit would be fine to run the whole thing. But its being insected, so I am putting in 2 small appliance branch circuits, a bath room circuit, and one circuit to run the general outlets and lighting. Because of this I need a panel out there. I was thinking the main breaker would qualify as a disconnect. And I plan on driving a ground rod.

Charlie Bob

The guy just wants an apartment to rent to college students. Do you think I need a meter by code?

This place is so small, one circuit would be fine to run the whole thing. But its being insected, so I am putting in 2 small appliance branch circuits, a bath room circuit, and one circuit to run the general outlets and lighting. Because of this I need a panel out there. I was thinking the main breaker would qualify as a disconnect. And I plan on driving a ground rod.

I would definately pull permits on this one. College students involve, he basically wants to make money out of it, by rnting it. Cover your a**.

kwired

Electron manager
From what you describe you meet the definition of dwelling unit, you have not clearly stated if it is a separate building or attached to the main dwelling. Since you included the word underground in your description of what you are doing I assume separate building.

Since it is a dwelling unit it must be fed with minimum of 100 amp service or feeder and all rules for other dwellings also apply to this dwelling. NEC could care less if there is a meter or not, only how it is done if there is one.

Since it is such a small unit you may only need required 2 SABC, required bath circuit, heat/cooling, water heater if electric and maybe only 1 other circuit for anything else not required or allowed on any of the above.

Last edited:

Oh well since he is renting it DEFINITELY put a meter on it and PULL the permits on this like someone said. NEC 2008 210.25 may or may not apply in this case but just in case give it a good read if there are any 'common' areas in play here. .

kwired

Electron manager
As I previously said NEC could care less if there is a meter or not. Just because it is going to be rented does not mean it has to have a meter (by NEC) check with local regulations if there is concerns on meter or if owner wants a meter that is ok also.

Meter or no meter pull your permit .

iwirehouses

The permits are already pulled. So 100 amp minimum. Thats fine, I just wasn't sure if there was some kind of exception involving my situation.

It is a detached garage, and the owner dosn't want a meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.