sign lighting ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lat1

a customer wants me to provide lighting for a sign on the roof of his shop so that it can be seen from the highway which runs parallel to it. the sign is 50' long, by 3' high, sitting on the peak of a shingle roof thats at about a 5/12 pitch. i am going to try to light it from below, mounting some floods. do you guys have any reccomendations on particular products for this type of fixture? any tricks on light placement?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'd consider lighting from above for the purpose of keeping rain and snow off of the lenses. Least expensive would probably be a row of double-head PAR floods on arms, like T-condulets on rigid conduit.

lat1

I'd consider lighting from above for the purpose of keeping rain and snow off of the lenses. .

i thought about that too, but the highway is somewhat above level of the sign and i wasn't sure if a gooseneck type fixture would interfere with line of sight.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yeppers. Pairs of them on T's at the ends of several GRC arms would be very economical.

I'll drill weep holes in anything that can catch or hold water if they don't come with them.

cadpoint

I'm having a real hard time with this little drawing, there is no X or Y distances in the graph, where
is the light physically sitting? Anyone want to explain what I'm looking at and describe what is going on here!

I'm talking the PHOTOMETRIC CURVE as shown on the bottom right on same page as mentioned earlier!

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Even if it can lend you in jail as a consequence? A rather shortsighted comment...;)
In theory, maybe, but I can't imagine a 1/8" hole or two causing catastrophic failure.

There are approved fittings that you can employ to accomplish the desired function.
Okay, how would an upward-aimed flood socket be arranged to drain?

wireguru

Lowe's carries them, and I've installed them. The front lenses barely stay on.

The ones we use are actually the LHS100. I just checked a few in inventory (and they are on portable equipment that travels), and zero problems with the front lens -the ring fits tightly. Maybe you had old ones or a bad batch?

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I installed these on a similar installation. The ballasts are mounted in the attic space. I believe they're called OS/2 lights and they come in a variety of lengths. My google-fu is weak however and I can't seem to find a link for you.

DSC00220.jpg

Sorry for the large pic, I'm not sure how to make it a little smaller. I mounted 2X4s to the back of the sign with those bolts you see. The sign is made of metal. Then I clipped the 3/4" pipe to the wood. The lights don't weigh much at all.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
jaylectricity,
Looks simular to the ones I posted earlier - Did you like them?

Oh yeah, those look almost exactly the same. I like them, they do cost a bit, but they light up the sign very evenly and brightly. I think I paid $250 per 6' length. That includes whatever ballasts and lamps you need. But like I said, there have been some nasty snow, rain and wind storms and they look new. Still haven't had to replace the lamps and I think I put them in 5 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.