PT deck - vertical hanging method ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

So - got a puny ('no one else wants it') job... Hanging a swagged crystal chandelier of ~40 pounds from a nearby box to over a dinging room table that would not look good at my house.

I've worked in the building before - for a former employer - and the max drilling in the post tension concrete ceiling is 1 1/8" - which is just fine for mono-rail track with multiple supports on the "provided" plastic anchors. (if they were not provide - I would not use them.)

Initially - I was thinking of just a single expansion bolt or drop anchor - but if it fails - I'm screwed... (the fixture is worth more than the job, and the table equally so.) The second thoughts are two/a few of the same, or tap cons spaced under a false canopy....

What say you?

TOOL_5150

Could you drill it out and epoxy a stud in which you can screw a hook onto? My company builds detatched structures, and they drill into the slab and epoxy the bolts into the slab to hold the walls down onto the slab. I figure if epoxy can handle that, it for sure should be able to handle a 40Lb luminare.

~Matt

e57

Could you drill it out and epoxy a stud in which you can screw a hook onto? My company builds detatched structures, and they drill into the slab and epoxy the bolts into the slab to hold the walls down onto the slab. I figure if epoxy can handle that, it for sure should be able to handle a 40Lb luminare.

~Matt
I was worried about the flow/cure rates - i.e. the epoxy running out of, or down the stud - and how to secure the stud while curing to strength. And I can find no rated drill depths that low.

wireguru

I would consult an engineer on this one. The loads on that anchor are going to be a whole lot more than 40lb during a seismic event from the fixture swinging around. Perhaps something like a 3 or 4 inch square steel plate with a forged eyelet welded to the center and four anchor bolts through it into the concrete. Use a small shackle to connect the fixture chain to the eyelet.

wireguru

Redhead makes a drop in anchor designed for PT applications and has a shallow depth of 3/4" or 1" Its the RX series see here for performance data. Depending on the seismic load presented by the chandelier you might be ok with one of these and a forged eyebolt screwed into it, otherwise the steel plate I mentioned above to spread the load between 3 or 4 anchors. Make sure you observe the minimum anchor spacing.

http://www.itwredhead.com/multi_perf01.asp

e57

Redhead makes a drop in anchor designed for PT applications and has a shallow depth of 3/4" or 1" Its the RX series see here for performance data. Depending on the seismic load presented by the chandelier you might be ok with one of these and a forged eyebolt screwed into it, otherwise the steel plate I mentioned above to spread the load between 3 or 4 anchors. Make sure you observe the minimum anchor spacing.

http://www.itwredhead.com/multi_perf01.asp
Actually I'm thinking the same... Hilti makes an identical item... But I was figuring just mounting a 4S 3/0 ring and using a canopy... The client tells me it's 30-40 pounds but they have a tendancy to over-estimate...

Since I just got done making the detail to show her.... (If I decide to go this direction...)

Regularkevin

I used the Redhead products on a retrofit job for the Hood Canal Bridge. It sets fast, stinks like hell and once cured, holds like one wouldn't believe.

Worse case scenario, you could get one of those xray guys to come out and verify that where you are drilling wedgies is safe.

e57

I used the Redhead products on a retrofit job for the Hood Canal Bridge. It sets fast, stinks like hell and once cured, holds like one wouldn't believe.

Worse case scenario, you could get one of those xray guys to come out and verify that where you are drilling wedgies is safe.
I assume you're talking about the epoxy chemical smell?

Anyway X-rays cost more mula than the piddly job itself. But if required I could tack a day trip for nearby tenents, X-rays, and hang out in a lead apron... But sonar may pan out better.... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.