Service disconnect and grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdolor

OK, I have done numerous services in Maryland but as it happens I have never had do to one with a disconnect because I am going to exceed 3' going into the house to the panel. The homeowner would like to relocate the 25' of service entrance cable running down the side of the house to inside the attic. My plan is to install new SE cable to meter can connected to an outside 200A disconnect and run SER to the service panel. This run would be 25' inside the house. My questions are:
(1) Is the running the SER through the house OK at this point because I have a disconnect?
(2) I will be driving 2 ground rods 10' apart but located near the service panel. Do I need to run a bonding ground to the meter can. I am thinking of the bonding that needs to be available to other utilities (phone, cable and such)?
Chuck

cdolor

OK my brains not working

OK my brains not working

The disconnect becomes the main and the main panel is now a subpanel. My grounding happens at the disconnect....

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The SER is permitted within the house because of the 200 amp disconnect (w/ an OCPD) at the meter. All of your GEC's must terminate at the disconnect as well. Neutrals and EGC's must be separate at the panel inside.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If you are covered by the '08 Code, it would be good to check with your inspector on how they are enforcing the 60? rating on SE cable installed on the interior.

cdolor

Just spoke with the local inspector. He is fine with my plan. I find them pretty easy to work with here. I am forturnate in that regard.
Thanks for all the help.
Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.